11 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 2:27 PM by Jay Chevako

read pagemaker files

suph

hi

i have so many Adobe pagemaker files with equations ,images,and text .i want to extract those using java or any other.

is there any chance to convert pagemaker files into xml help me ,beacuse  in xml i can get images,equations objects also. this  is the one way i know

so help me.

• 1. Re: read pagemaker files
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I don't know about converting to xml, but if equations were composed in Word, I think your chances of success are slim.

If you still can open any of those files, try copying an equation and pasting it in a word processor, and tell us what happens.

• 2. Re: read pagemaker files
            suph Level 1

THANK  YOU,

• 3. Re: read pagemaker files
              suph Level 1

I was copied an equation into word document from pagemaker . equation is

comming in a proper way but the word document taking that equation as an

image .

I want the equation format.

• 4. Re: read pagemaker files

suph wrote:

I was copied an equation into word document from pagemaker . equation is

comming in a proper way but the word document taking that equation as an

image .

I want the equation format.

That's precisely what I feared would happen. It's been too many years since I took equations composed in Word to PageMaker documents, but I still remember how the peculiar ways in which Word works were constantly a headache.

I am sorry to say that, in my opinion, it is highly unlikely that you will ever recover the formatting of those equations. Unless you have copies of the original Word documents in which they were composed.

• 5. Re: read pagemaker files
                  suph Level 1

pagemaker to word conversion is not working for equations .

did you know how to read adobe pagemaker file using java.

• 6. Re: read pagemaker files

suph wrote:

pagemaker to word conversion is not working for equations .

did you know how to read adobe pagemaker file using java.

No, it's almost 100% sure that the equations are incorporated as images in the PM files, so there is no possible conversion that I know of. I don't know how to use Java, but I don't think it would make any difference. If they are images, I would say there is no way to recover their formatting.

• 7. Re: read pagemaker files
                      BigJohnD Level 3

suph wrote:

is there any chance to convert pagemaker files into xml

No.

If you have a copy of Pagemaker, you can export text, but don't expect much.

• 8. Re: read pagemaker files
                        suph Level 1

pagemaker conversion is too difficult.  k ,can u tell me the storage format of pagemaker means how the text is stored in adobe pagemaker.

• 9. Re: read pagemaker files
                          BigJohnD Level 3

Forget it, the format is far too complex.

If you have a copy of PM, open the publication from where you can copy the text.

• 10. Re: read pagemaker files

PageMaker has been officially dead for more than ten years. It was replaced by a completely redesigned version which they had the bad idea to rename InDesign. Redesign was unavoidable because the coding used in PageMaker was so old and so patched that nobody understood it. So don't expect to recover easily files produced with such an ancient program; you'll be lucky if you recover parts of them.

And if I were you, I would forget about trying to recover the formatting of equations composed in Word. As I see things, your only hope there would be to access the poriginal Word files that were used for composing them; and I wouldn't dare to guarantee complete success in that case either.

• 11. Re: read pagemaker files
                              Jay Chevako Level 3

Pagemaker was way to simplistic to handle equations.  You could mabe fudge a few simple equations by playing with kerning, baseline shifts and symbol fonts, or another way would be to build the equations out of groups of text boxes. I doubt that either of these methods were used, and I doubt that any of the equations would survive the change to another format.

The more likely method was that someone used an external equation editor and saved the equations as images to be placed into the pagemaker document. The nicer of  the equation editors save the equations as .eps files that you could open in Illustrator, but many use a raster pixel format like png or tiff.

I get this quite often in my engineering magazine, with equations embeded in word. When I'm lucky the equations will come right through into indesign where I Can open them up in Illustrator and edit them as I go along. When I'm not lucky I get barely readable image files that I have to recreate myself, using Indesign or Illustrator, depending on the complexity.

Jay