5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 3:53 PM by Ben M

Pages created with DWT will not scroll

elvikingoproductions

I recently acquired a contract to update a site built in CS2 with tables to something that's HTML 4.01 compliant. I'm using CS5 and have updated the DWT's design, but now my pages will not scroll using the new template. I've tried using the overflow tag in several ways and locations within the DWT and style sheet itself, but to no avail. I have also created new pages from this template and they won't scroll either. I'm clearly missing something, does anyone have any ideas as to what that is? Does anyone need snippets of code?

Thanks, Kevin

• 1. Re: Pages created with DWT will not scroll
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

elvikingoproductions wrote:

I recently acquired a contract to update a site built in CS2 with tables to something that's HTML 4.01 compliant. I'm using CS5 and have updated the DWT's design, but now my pages will not scroll using the new template. I've tried using the overflow tag in several ways and locations within the DWT and style sheet itself, but to no avail. I have also created new pages from this template and they won't scroll either. I'm clearly missing something, does anyone have any ideas as to what that is? Does anyone need snippets of code?

Thanks, Kevin

Why are tables not HTML 4.01 compliant?

Regardless, you have to post a link to the page in question or provide the code (both HTML & CSS) for examination.  The typical link you will be pointed to is the validator, so you may want to clean up as much as you can before you provide the link.

http://validator.w3.org/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pages created with DWT will not scroll
            elvikingoproductions Level 1

Thanks SnakEyez02. I ran a test page through the validator and it returned a bunch of errors with the javascript that Dreamweaver generated and it says I haven't properly closed a <td> correctly in a place where I can't figure out the issue.

Here's a link to the page in question:

http://artsalivejackson.com/testing/about.html

Thanks again for the help.

• 3. Re: Pages created with DWT will not scroll

A couple things.  First you can ignore the Javascript errors in the validation from DW.  It's old code made to work with older browsers so it doesn't always validate.  The table tag error I would still recommend fixing as well as the style tag that appears after the body.

Next to your scrolling issue, your content is in a fixed position container.  Fixed positioning means that the container will be at the same spot and doesn't really grow or shrink.  It's just there.  It doesn't flow with the rest of your document and I don't see any reason for it to remain fixed.  And on top of that it's inside a table cell which makes even less sense.  Remove that and see if that solves your issue.

• 4. Re: Pages created with DWT will not scroll
                elvikingoproductions Level 1

Thank you for the help! That solved my issue and somehow created a new one. I now have spaces between the cell that holds the editable content.

http://artsalivejackson.com/testing/about.html

I ran it to ensure compliance, the error on Line 67 is where Dreamweaver keeps moving that snippet of code. Once again, I'm sure I'm doing something seriously wrong.

I haven't really done much in the way of coding since I graduated from college several years ago, its amazing how much of Digital Media minor fades from memory in such a short period fo time. I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

• 5. Re: Pages created with DWT will not scroll

To be honest the code is quite a mess from ImageReady and the tables only add to the confusion.  There are 2 CSS errors:

site_layout_container - "align" is not a valid property.  You could do "text-align: center;" but that wouldn't make sense since you are justifying the text.

site_content - "auto" is not a valid attribute of "float".  You can float left or right.

Also these are not errors but more of a solution to help your problem.

site_content - remove "margin: auto" or set the margin to "margin: 0 auto;", remove "height: auto;"

HTML

Delete lines 142-149.  This appears to be spacer images that could be giving your site a "gap" appearance.

Delete lines 203-234.  Same reason as above.  Unnecessary spacers.

Delete lines 87-91.  Code is redundant.  Plus same declaration is made on Lines 9-11.