I have a project that is taking forever to render and am trying to troubleshoot it. It has an AE comp that is used several times and seems to be the culprit. If i load that into after effects and render with my "use 7 of 8 cores with 1GB ram each" setting in afx then my cpu usage is about 80-90% and it renders that segment in 50 seconds.
Now when i link that into premiere and it is rendering along almost maxxing out all 8 cores until it hits that comp and then cpu usage drops down and only one core is at 80% and the rest are around below 20% and that segment takes almost 10 minutes for premiere to get through.
Now obviously i can pre-render that and replace the comp and the problem will be solved but i would much rather see premiere render at full speed like it should. Am i missing something? With multicore systems this would make dynamic linking almost worthless if it wont use them (and i LOVE dynamic linking, it is a GREAT feature)
system is win7, cs5, dual quad xeon (8 cores), GTX 460, and 20GB ram.
> Am i missing something?
No, you're not missing anything.
This is a current limitation of using Dynamic Link between Premiere Pro and After Effects. When Premiere Pro calls the headless version of After Effects to render those frames, only one After Effects process is used.
We're working on improving Dynamic Link. If you'd like to influence where we put our effort, please make a feature request so that the folks deciding what work to do can register your vote.