6 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 5:25 PM by Ned Murphy

newbie question

bbxrider Level 1

ok dumb newbie question

for a flash application I inherited, see screen shot, once I selected a layer, (pencil showing) how do I get it displayed in the work area so I can actually edit its components, honestly I have right and left clicked everything I can see, and checked all the all menus looking for something that gets it done. this app is all static, web forms, so  there's no real timeline considerations, so I have minimized that aspect by putting it all on the left side and creating a bigger work area.

maybe you can see in the smallish image below, the black layer is selected, the pencil is showing but the white display is blank

this is macromedia flash mx ver 6.0

how-edit-components.png

• 1. Re: newbie question
          marer1976 Level 3

Every layer in Flash has three icons next to the name (on the right).

They are (from left to right): show/hide, lock/unlock, change preview to outlines.

If you click on the dot under the last icon (outline preview), all the elements that appear on the selected layer will display as outlines.

• 2. Re: newbie question
            Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should probably expand the timeline so that you can see which frame you are in.  If you are in a frame with no content, you will see nothing.  Also, if the file only uses actionscript to create what it displays, the same will be true.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: newbie question
              bbxrider Level 1

thanks that helps a lot

I kept clicking the rightmost icon on the layer line itself not the icon on the top, and then realizing that to see only 1 layer at a time had to hide all the others, and it seems you have to have the time line open enough to click/select one of those sections, anyway so now the real work can begin

any suggestions for tutorials on the action scripting? one layer, which in this case is a 7 item web form, pretty simple,  has 500+ lines of script which seems to be a lot and so pretty complicated. it looks like jscript, or is it a flash script that is java like?

• 4. Re: newbie question

Actionscript is similar to other languages, including javascript, though some elements of it are borne from Flash-specific objects and functionalities.

• 5. Re: newbie question
                  bbxrider Level 1

THANKS FOR THE HELP

• 6. Re: newbie question

You're welcome