11 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2011 1:30 PM by shooternz

Export a .mov in HD?

sciulli999 Level 1

My footage is from a Canon 5DII, shot at 29.97 fps @ 1080p.

The video in question is a 15 second commercial for a local business.

Through Comcast, they request a 1080i mpeg file. I've submitted to them in the past and I used "Format: MPEG2" and "Preset: HDTV 1080i 29.97 High Quality" for my export settings.

This time, I also need to submit to Root Sports. They are telling me they need a .mov file. When I choose "Format: Quicktime" in the export dialouge, the highest video quality under presets is only 480p. The presets are "NTSC DV," "NTSC DV Widescreen," "NTSC DV Widescreen 24p," "NTSC DV 24p," "PAL DV Widescreen," and "PAL DV." There are no HD options for .mov Quicktime.

Any help?

• 1. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You should be able to choose H.264, and wrap that in a MOV container. Do you have the H.264 Export option in AME?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
            Level 4

I have Quicktime pro installed on pc...using CS3....and have these options for presets and codecs...plus.. under "custom" I can change all sorts of stuff as needed....

I think you need quicktime installed to get all the codecs etc... ( I have a cineform codec installed from the free cineform player which is why you see that one ... )

QT1.jpg

QT-codec.jpg

• 3. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
              sciulli999 Level 1

Yes I do.

How do you wrap the file in a .mov container? Just change the file ending from .mov after it exports?

• 4. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                sciulli999 Level 1

Ok..

If I choose "Quicktime" as the "Format," if I go under "Video Codec," I can change that to H.264.

Is that how I should proceed?

• 5. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                  sciulli999 Level 1

SO

I have an h.264 file and I just need to convert it to .mov.

How do I do this?

Adobe Media Encoder? MPEG Streamclip? Apple Compressor?

??

• 6. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                    Level 4

----------------

This time, I also need to submit to Root Sports. They are telling me  they need a .mov file. When I choose "Format: Quicktime" in the export  dialouge, the highest video quality under presets is only 480p. The  presets are "NTSC DV," "NTSC DV Widescreen," "NTSC DV Widescreen 24p,"  "NTSC DV 24p," "PAL DV Widescreen," and "PAL DV." There are no HD  options for .mov Quicktime.

-------------------

did you by any chance come to the forum and look at my post ??  might help.  I seem to have more options than you do and custom setting will allow you some flexibility.  Look at the pictures...you will see there are HD options as presets...and you can manipulate THOSE with custom settings.  ??? Not sure cause I use CS3 with quicktime pro installed on a PC....which adds stuff that might not be there for you now ??

Me and Bill happened to respond at about the same time to your original post so maybe you missed mine ??

The tip off here is your presets are limited compared to mine...if you look at the image...good luck !!!

If you choose h264 as a preset you have other options but at least in my program ( CS3 ) none of them have anything to do with MOV wrapper in my version....I think what Bill meant was you can choose the h264 IN THE MOV wrapper ??

• 7. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

You got some bad information; you don't export to H.264 (MP4) and then convert to MOV.

As you discovered, there is an H.264 encoder available when you select QuickTime as your format. I use this as my delivery for HD material frequently. You need to follow a few rules though to get the best you can out of the encoder. Check here and down for some pointers: Re: Format advice appreciated

• 8. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                        sciulli999 Level 1

Hi,

I saw your post robodog, but what are you saying? That I should buy Quicktime Pro? I would rather not as there is most likely a work around that is free.

I ended up choosing "Quicktime" as my "Format" and then towards the bottom, you can change the video codec. That allowed me to select h.264 as my codec.

Exactly what I was looking for, BUT... something is messed up with the pixel size I think (my sequence is set to 1.0 square)? When I try to set the output size width at 1280, the height goes higher than 720. So I have to force my own size, and this ends up with an outputted file with very small black bars on the top and bottom.

• 9. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

BUT... something is messed up with the pixel size I think (my sequence is set to 1.0 square)? When I try to set the output size width at 1280, the height goes higher than 720. So I have to force my own size, and this ends up with an outputted file with very small black bars on the top and bottom.

Be sure to set Aspect to "Square Pixels (1.0)." It's probably defaulting to non-square pixels of one dimension or another.

• 10. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                            Level 4

-----------

I saw your post robodog, but what are you saying? That I should buy  Quicktime Pro? I would rather not as there is most likely a work around  that is free.

--------------

no, of course not...just pointing out that your presets and mine are different depending on installed stuff..

Now you know that your presets ( not having a " HD" one ) is not that important ( see Colin's reply ) and keep using the quicktime format but choose the h264 and follow those "custom" settings you require....

you will end up with the mov file wrapper that way

• 11. Re: Export a .mov in HD?
                              shooternz Level 6

I made a custom preset for my own broadcast delivery purposes from the Quicktime  : HDTV 1080p 25 fps preset