8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 2:32 PM by RjL190365

Critique my Z68 Build

nzthudb

This will be used to edit AVCHD video in Premiere Pro, make use of After Effects and also run Office and some games.

I am waiting for Eric to provide some test results on the use of Z68 and Quicksync before I definitively decide on the usefulness of a Z68 motherboard.

Intel Core i7 2600k

Prolimatech Megahelms CPU Cooler

Asus P8Z68 Pro V Motherboard

16gb Kingston HyperX Memory (CL9)

Intel 320 120gb SSD

2 x Western Digital Black 1Tb Hard Drives

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

DVD Writer

Seasonic X-650W PSU

NZXT Phantom Case

Windows 7 Professional

Thanks

• 1. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might see if there are enough reports at http://ppbm5.com/ to rate that CPU

Otherwise, newer and maybe faster than what I built a year ago to edit AVCHD - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
            RjL190365 Level 4

John,

There have been a decent number of results from the i7-2600K with P67-based motherboards and 16GB of RAM in the PPBM5 results list. The fastest overclocked i7-2600K achieved a result of 162 seconds; the fastest stock-speed i7-2600K achieved 220 seconds. Both results are competitive with most of the i7-9xx systems at their respective clock speeds on that same list.

There are no results from any Z68 motherboard-based system yet. However, I am still awaiting preliminary results from Eric of ADK.

• 3. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Sorry that was delayed due to a DOA engineering sample board. I will have atleast 1 retail board on the way soon.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
                nzthudb Level 1

ECBowen wrote:

Sorry that was delayed due to a DOA engineering sample board. I will have atleast 1 retail board on the way soon.

Eric

ADK

Eric,

When do you expect to have the Z68 board so that you can test it?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Critique my Z68 Build

We got the board in the other day. I will likely put it up today provided the shipment of 570GTX cards gets here today.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
                    nzthudb Level 1

There have been some benchmarks posted to PPBM5 of a similar build to what I am suggesting. 

Z68 SAS workstation : i7 2600k (OC 4.4), 16GB Ram, GTX 560 Ti

Why does the benchmark seem slow?  Is it because they are running PPro 5.5?

Any news on your Z68 testing Eric?

• 7. Re: Critique my Z68 Build

Not yet. I have been delayed getting that done since we are short handed this week.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Critique my Z68 Build
                        RjL190365 Level 4

The overall result in PPBM5 seems significantly slower only because they are running CS5.5. And even then, the slower overall result is deceptive because the MPEG-2 DVD encoding scores in the PPBM5 benchmark were substantially slower in CS5.5 than in CS5 5.0.3. And the LGA 1155 platform isn't the only one to suffer the CS5.5 blues: Quad-core i7-9xx/X58 platforms also suffer greatly in the MPEG-2 DVD encode performance in CS5.5 (versus CS5 5.0.3) when running PPBM5.

With that said, the Z68-based systems appear to perform substantially faster than their H67-based cousins despite running CS5.5 rather than the CS5 5.0.3 that some of the H67-based systems had been running. The H67 results may have been skewed by the fact that their video priority was left at the default "AUTO", which forces the primary x16 slot to run at a crippled x1 bandwidth (because the onboard graphics remain enabled in this mode). The H67-based systems really needed tinkering within the motherboard BIOS (or UEFI) in order to perform at all well.