19 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 8:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error

futurefilmboss

Here's another take on the vexing and sometimes difficult to solve "Transcoding Error" when burning a DVD.

Here's the background.

I use a Canon Vixia HF21 which is a memory based camera.

There are 5 different settings on the Vixia from full HD 1920 to LP. We shoot in what they call XP+ mode which is 1440.

The project preset used is the hard disk flash memory HD1080I(60).

The videos we shoot are simple instructional videos with basic fade in and fade out without much in the way of fancy layers.

The process is usually where we import the video off the camer, then

render, edit and then burn. Editing usually involves cropping.

However today I kept getting the infamous transcoding error when trying to burn a DVD. It always happened at the

14% mark and did everything I could find others had suggested in other forums, such as disk defragmention etc.

On my own I decided that I'd try to re-render it again and when I did found that it wouldn't render. It would crash

at the same 14% mark. Hm?

Well to make a long story short, I decided to remove the crop on the 1st clip and lo and behold was able t

get the render process to go until the 21% mark, which was the 2nd video clip (still cropped).

So, I changed all the clips from "Crop" to "Clip" and was then able to re-render and burn a DVD to file.

So don't know if anyone has a take on this but thought it would be worth adding to the repository of information

about transcoding and help someone else out in the future.

Dan

• 1. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

What were the purposes of the Effect>Crop? Did the Frame Size not match, or were you trying to create a "letterboxed" look to the footage?

I have not heard of the Effect>Crop causing any issues, and that is why I asked.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
            futurefilmboss Level 1

Hi Bill,

Well the reason we Crop is to bring the video into the safe zones. The clip is distorting the aspect ratio so it's not the final solution. It's wierd for sure, but what can you do when it's 2:00 in the morning and  you've been fighting it all day long. Get drunk or get drunker. Well I didn't do either and would love to have more comments, or theories as to why this is happening as we shoot video regularly and I don't want to have to go through this again in the future, that's for sure. I'll be submitting a support ticket to the Adobe HQ and see what they come up with.

• 3. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The purpsose of safe zones is not so that you'll crop or resize your video to fit inside them, boss. It's so that the IMPORTANT video information stays within them -- particularly text.

Resizing your video so that it stays within your Safe Margins only multiplies the amount of rendering the program needs to do and increases the likelihood that the program is going to crash.

The best way to work is to match your source footage to your project settings and leave it at that. Only rarely should you resize your video to emphasize or highlight something in it.

Also, if your project and source video is hi-def and your output is DVD (standard def), you can improve your odds of success (and improve the quality of your output) if, instead of going straight to DVD, you use Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset to output your video first as a standard def video. Then open a new project (with DV settings) put your DV-AVI on the timeline and generate your DVD from there.

This will save you hours of rendering time as well as greatly increasing the odds of a successful DVD creation.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                futurefilmboss Level 1

Was hoping you'd reply. Your advice always seems to be timely and valuable. I've never done the AVI export. Does it retain the chapter markers? Becuase I take the DVD into Handbrake and create individual chapters, upload to S3 and then build a play list using EzS3 for members with matching chapters so that they'll not have to start the stream from the beginning each time.

Also, what would you recommend then I do if when shooting a video say in 1440 and on the right and left edges find that there is something that I don't want to be there? Maybe a pencil laying on the floor, or something like that.

Thanks Steve,

• 5. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                  futurefilmboss Level 1

Steve,

Recommend that the AVI be in DVNTSC Widscreen? (shot at 1440)

or some other format?

Dan

• 6. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes. DV-AVI widescreen (720x480 anamorphic).

And, no, exporting an AVI does not maintain chapter markers. You should add them to your AVI when you do your final output to DVD.

• 7. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                      futurefilmboss Level 1

Steve,

I'll keep you posted. Exporting now. Bummre about the chapter markers, but what about my other quetion regarding removing items on the edges of a video. Your first message implied that I was improperly using clip/crop, so what's a poor boy to do?

• 8. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If one's Project Preset matches the Source Files 100%, there should be no distorting, as mentioned above.

If there are elements in the Video Frame, that one needs to remove, there are two ways to do that:

1. Use the Effect>Crop, and get black bars, where the Crop was applied.
                        2. Use the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, and probably Motion>Position, to Scale UP the Video Frame, and let the Project's Frame Size effectively "crop" out the material. No black bars this way.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                          futurefilmboss Level 1

Thanks for the tip Bill. Unfortunately I don't have those effects availablei in PE8.

Is there something I'm missing?

• 10. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately I don't have those effects availablei in PE8.

Actually you do. They are "fixed Effects" and are included in all Clips w/ Video.

If you Select a Clip, then go to the Effects Tab, and choose Edit Effects, you will see Opacity, Motion, etc. and Motion has a little triangle. Click that to twirl open Motion, where you will see Scale and Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Effects Tab and Effects Control Panel from PrE 4.0. PrE 8 will be almost identical.

Effect_Control_01.jpg

Effect_Control_02.jpg

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                futurefilmboss Level 1

So found the effects. You are now offically on my Christmas Card list.( as well as Steve)

So in summary, I can use the crop to remove anything I want to move around the edges and then I can use the motion effects to scale the video back to properly fit the frame. Am I tracking? Does the grasshopper have it? Then export in AVI and then bring back in to burn the dvd with chapter markers added.

Dan

• 13. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

You have broken the code! The choice will be what you want in the final output. I use Crop for PiP (Picture in Picture) often, but use the Motion>Scale and often Motion>Positon for my main Video Clips. Note: when Scaling UP (and actually DOWN), you are creating pixels, where none existed, so a bit of image degradation will take place. Use no more, than you must, and it will probably be just fine. Still, check the quality.

Good luck, and I'll be looking for those cards, come Dec.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                    futurefilmboss Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I don't think this is going to work.

The videos we're  talking about are Belly Dance Instructional Videos and when scaling up after the crop it takes my wifes feet out of the picture, which is very important. I guess I'll have to play around with it a bit to get a good technique in place so that I don't have to crop as much on the left and right.

But you've been great and you have my sincere appreciation and gratitude.

Dan

• 15. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Thanks for reporting.

What are the elements that you wish to remove, and where are they located in your Frame? Might be some other ways to keep the feet, but get you what you want. Maybe post a screen-cap of one of the full Frames in the Timeline and on the Program Monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                        futurefilmboss Level 1

Hey Bill,

Thanks for hanging in. Here's two screen shots. The first image is before the crop. Any ideas are of course appreciated.

najlas_screen2.jpgscreen1.jpg

• 17. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that tells me a lot.

Here is one way to accomplish what I think that you want. I would Crop in even more, to isolate your subject, and then do something like I have outlined HERE. That tutorial goes into more detail on things to do to get to the end result, and is also around stills, but you will basically be doing a PiP (Picture in Picture), where your abstract background will be on Video Track 1, and the actual Video on Video Track 2. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.

I could see a little lead-in of maybe a skyline from Istanbul, with minnerets, etc., and then the PiP comes in, over that.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                            futurefilmboss Level 1

Bill,

I want to thank you for your help. It has been very much appreciated. I will try the method you suggest and when done I'll post a link to the video here so you can take a look at it.

Thanks again

Dan

• 19. Re: Another Take on the Vexing Transcoding Error
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Good luck with the Project. One of the nice things about the more dramatic Crop w/ an abstract background, is that you are not doing any Scaling, or at least very limted Scaling. This will maintain the highest quality of the resultant image. One just needs to find a creative way to "fill in the Cropped area," so that they are not just left with black borders. In the end, one wants something to just fill the area, and not distract the viewer's eyes from the subject of the video. Do not hesitate to experiment with the background and with its treatment.

Please report your success,

Hunt