7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2006 9:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

Login Section for a website

jjimman Level 1
      Does anybody know of a website or anywhere where i can get instructions to make a login page for meembers of my site to login on the website and access things like forums, check email, and possibly set levels of access such as level 1 = most authority, level 2 = regular user
        • 1. Re: Login Section for a website
          jjimman Level 1
          like i guess im looking for an instruction page or somthing like that. if the concept is simple you can just post somthing here.
          • 2. Re: Login Section for a website
            Level 7
            with the other things you mentioned like checking email-
            I'd guess you are thinking of building a Community type CMS content
            management system?

this isn't a couple of lines of code or a quick how to article.
            Most folks go with a pre-written package like joomla or similar type of CMS
            scripts.

> like i guess im looking for an instruction page or somthing like that. if the
            > concept is simple you can just post somthing here.

• 3. Re: Login Section for a website
              Level 7
              jjimman wrote:
              > Does anybody know of a website or anywhere where i can get instructions to make
              > a login page for meembers of my site to login on the website and access things
              > like forums, check email, and possibly set levels of access such as level 1 =
              > most authority, level 2 = regular user
              >

and the server-side language you are using is?...

--
              seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
              http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
              Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
              • 4. Re: Login Section for a website
                jjimman Level 1
                i guess all i really need to know is how do you set up the 'submit' button so that when its clicked it will check to see if the username & password combination the user provided is correct and if it is it will bring them to a new page. and if it isn't it will say like login failed or somthing.
                • 5. Re: Login Section for a website
                  Level 7
                  again- What server side scripting can be used?
                  what type of database is available?

To have different access levels will require using php or asp or other
                  server side scripting, with the member info stored in a database.

> i guess all i really need to know is how do you set up the 'submit' button so
                  > that when its clicked it will check to see if the username & password
                  > combination the user provided is correct and if it is it will bring them to a
                  > new page. and if it isn't it will say like login failed or somthing.
                  >

• 6. Re: Login Section for a website
                    jjimman Level 1
                    i'd probally use php and the only database i know of is mysql
                    • 7. Re: Login Section for a website
                      Level 7

> i'd probally use php and the only database i know of is mysql

for something to start with- open the F1 help in dreamweaver.

Developing Applications Rapidly > Building pages that restrict
                      access to your site (ColdFusion, ASP, JSP, PHP)

There's also a chapter on in in the print book, ""Foundation PHP for
                      Dreamweaver 8"