7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 3:09 PM by z.gori

is the HP h8se a viable option?

z.gori

Hi,

I've lurked here for a while, and I understand the general recommendations in terms of hardware and also the benefits of buying a custom-built editing machine or building one myself. My IT support people would be much more comfortable with an HP, Dell on Lenovo, however, so I'm willing to overpay a bit to stay in their good graces (anyone who has worked at a large organization or read Dilbert can understand the intangible benefits of getting along with your IT people). I do relatively uncomplicated HDV video editing as only about 20 percent of my job, and photoshop/indesign as perhaps another 20 percent. The other 60 percent is not computer-intensive. I'm currently using an optiplex 745, core 2 duo, with 4gb of RAM and an ATI video card that is not useful for CS5. It is usable, but obviously not ideal. Based on some preliminary research I requested, and received, a $3300 budget to spend on a new machine.

So, my question. The new consumer-grade HP desktops, h8se, seem from the specs like they might be adequate for my modest needs and provide a significant boost to my power. I would configure one something like this:

Intel Core i7 990x

12 gb DDR3 1333 or 24 gb DDR3 1066 ram (any advice on speed vs. quantity?)

160 gb SSD

2x 1TB 7200 RPM HDs

NVIDIA GeForce 460, 1gb DDR5 (an OEM card, or I could replace it with a reasonably low-wattage aftermarket card like a GTX560)

This comes in at around $2900, leaving me with room for a nice new monitor. One drawback is the 460 watt power supply somewhat limits my options in the future. Obviously I could get more for the money at a boutique manufacturer, but it's certainly a better deal that the xeon-equipped workstations and unless I'm overlooking a critical issue with, say, the motherboard, I'm thinking this could be mostly comparable to what I would get with a custom build at a markup that I can live with.

Welcoming all helpful advice.

z

• 1. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know the requirements of those nVidia cards but a 460w supply MAY be cutting things a bit close for reliability (my GTX 285, no longer made, has two power connections... but I have an 850w supply)

Use these to check

Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)
          Or http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=power%20supply%20calculator

• 2. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
            z.gori Level 1

Well, HP offers video cards with similar power requirements (~160 watts) in their configurator, and the calculators say that mid 400s will be sufficient, but I suppose it is cutting it close. How much of a concern should this be?

• 3. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can only tell you that my PERSONAL preference when I built a year ago was go get a "large" (and well rated in reviews) power supply so the PS would not be running near maximum with my total hardware - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

You will probably be just fine with your system... especially since HP would be the single point of contact if there were hardware problems, and since HP says the PS is OK for the machine

Side note - until they outgrew the computers, both wife and her sister had HP machines a few years ago and, while there were never any overt hardware problems, when either had a question about anything concerning their computers, HP provided very good support

I build my own (and built my wife's current computer) so pick exactly what I want based on budget -vs- needs... but IF I was buying a computer and was restricted in brand... HP would be one of my viable choices

• 4. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

That configuration would be more than enough for HDV and still editing. The question to ask your IT department is can they support you with the video editing applications. If so then you are in great shape. If not then following your IT's preference does not really help you.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
                  z.gori Level 1

Thanks for your responses.

No, IT can't really help much with video editing, BUT I do need them for things like Exchange connections, automatic backups, antivirus, shared server access, printers and other things this machine will do besides editing. They'll also handle hardware failures and troubleshoot when things aren't working so I don't have to. In general, they'll be less likely to give up and blame the vendor if the vendor is one they approve of. And more likely to return my calls promptly.

• 6. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

"Exchange connections, automatic backups, antivirus, shared server access, printers and other things this machine " - All of this is User/OS specific and should not matter what system you have. Network specific components are controlled on the servers so that also is not system specific.

"They'll also handle hardware failures and troubleshoot when things aren't working so I don't have to. In general, they'll be less likely to give up and blame the vendor if the vendor is one they approve of. And more likely to return my calls promptly." - This part is a shame but understandable considering the state of support these days from both system configurators and software manufacturers. "Blame it on the other Guy" has become the standard response rather than actually spend the time to try and isolate the issue. Many configurators though will support through your IT department if you run into issues and Turnkey configurators should handle most of the support outside of the network specific components. So you might have more ability to select what you want than you might believe. Also deciding the primary task of a system really sets the priority for support. If the primary task is for editing then that should decide your support requirements, which can include an Adobe support plan to backup your IT department for that side with the HP systems btw. If other functions are the primary tasks then obviously stay within your IT departments preferences since most support will be with the components they admin.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: is the HP h8se a viable option?
                      z.gori Level 1

Eric, I appreciate what you're saying. If my needs were more complex and/or video editing was my primary function, it would absolutely be worth it to buy the machine best suited for the job regardless of IT's preferences. But I also have some sympathy for our techs, who have heavy workloads and responsibilities to support hundreds of machines, prefering a short list of vendors. If I were in business for myself and supporting my own machine in an ecosystem I controlled I would go in a different direction.

To address the issue of the primary task, no editing is not the primary task, but it is the task that is most demanding of the system and so is a primary consideration for that reason. So I guess I'm looking for a reasonable compromise and I want to be sure that I'm not overlooking a shortcoming of a mass-produced system that I will be regreting in a year or two.