13 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 10:07 AM by Colin Brougham

xdv7 footage in Ppro

Rossiter

I'm running CS5 Creative Suite on a PC.

I've been given some mov files - according to GSpot, the codec appears to be xdv7.

This is a sort of xdcam, which Ppro is supposed to support.

PPro isn't recognising the files - can someone advise? Thanks, Linda

• 1. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Linda,

It could be as simple as installing the proper CODEC on the system, for PrPro to use it. I am not familiar with that CODEC, but I feel certain that others are.

Here's hoping that the CODEC is not a Mac-only one, and that a simple download and install will get you to editing.

It also might be that PrPro is not seeing things correctly, with the MOV wrapper. and perhaps Colin (or another skilled user) can tell you if a simple re-wrapping/repackaging will get things straightened out for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
            Rossiter Level 1

The files have come from another production company who are unwilling to help (as the client wanted us to edit their footage).

So I'm trying to solve the problem myself rather than have to ask them for advice.

Anyhow - The files as supplied have so suffix - Gspot identifies them as .movs, with an xdv7 codec.

I'm struggling to find the codec to download (I've installed a couple of packs without success)

I renamed the files as .mov - perhaps something else would work better?

Please keep offering suggestions.

Linda

• 3. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm struggling to find the codec to download (I've installed a couple of packs without success)

Good grief--don't do that. That will make more mess than it will fix.

Do you mind spending money to get this done? If not, you can get the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode plug-in to enable editing of these in Premiere (both PC and Mac). Yes, Premiere handles XDCAM natively, but not when it's been rewrapped by FCP; Apple does not supply the codec necessary to decode theme unless you're on a Mac with FCP installed. The Calibrated plug-in should (download the demo to test) let you import these.

I've got another workaround, that is free, but I'm having trouble locating the parts right now. What's your timeframe?

• 4. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I see that Colin HAS stopped by, and as anticipated, has some useful information.

I will strongly second his comment on "CODEC packs." With a very, very exceptions (such as MS and MainConcept), please stay far away from those. I would also strongly suggest removing any that you have installed, in your attempt to handle this footage, and hope that the uninstall routine cleans things up properly and fully. FFDShow is one fairly common module, and it can be horrible with Adobe NLE's, plus can be really, really tough to get rid of.

The issue with many/most CODEC packs, is that they add useless and often harmful "stuff" on your system. They can also overwrite good, commercial CODEC's, with hacked, or reverse-engineered versions. Another issue can be their resetting of the priority of your good, commercial CODEC's to something else.

Good luck, and glad that Colin had some info for you.

Hunt

• 5. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                  Rossiter Level 1

Colin, Many thanks for your advice.

It's a big job for an important client, so I don't mind spending - $130 is

acceptable.

I'll test the demo now.

I don't need to actually use the footage for another 3 weeks - i just must

know that it's possible.

Thanks, Linda

Linda Rossiter

Creative Director

Rossiter & Co Ltd

01695 726887

www.rossiterandco.com

• 6. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                    Rossiter Level 1

I hear you - I've uninstalled everything I tried!

Thanks, as ever, for being part of such an excellent forum.

I'll let you know my success later....

Linda

• 7. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool; see what the demo does for you, and if it works, I'd highly suggest using that. I've got a bit of hackery that "works," because it does rewrap the files into something that Premiere Pro can use, but I haven't fully tested it on a real project to make sure that it's bombproof. The Calibrated XD Decode plug-in should be a little more battle-tested than my workaround, which is what you'd hope so for the price

I'm keeping after the workaround, and I'll update when I know more. I'd actually be curious to see how it fares with a larger scale edit rather than the few test clips I have.

• 8. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                        Rossiter Level 1

Colin, the demo works - the footage is now on the Ppro timeline. Excellent,

thanks.

Next problem:

The production company sent one folder of this footage, which is all now

fine.

Then they sent one extra file, already suffixed as a mov, which I still

can't open.

GSpot recognises that it's in a mov container, but can't say what codec.

Quicktime Player says that it's not a file that Quicktime undrestands.

It's 2.7gb, so I can't upload it for someone else to look at.

I know this is terribly vague - can you offer any ideas?

Thanks, Linda

Linda Rossiter

Creative Director

Rossiter & Co Ltd

01695 726887

www.rossiterandco.com

• 9. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

GSpot is virtually worthless for QuickTime MOVs; try MediaInfo instead.

Post a report from the Text view, and we'll figure out what it is. It's possible that the file is damaged...

• 10. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                            Rossiter Level 1

Thanks. It says

General

Complete name                : F:\PUK_Naylor\Supplied Footage\Air shots.mov

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format profile                   : QuickTime

Codec ID                         : qt

File size                        : 2.73 GiB

• 11. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                              Rossiter Level 1

Sorry, I just tried one of the xdcam files in mediaInfo, and got loads of

info.

I only get what I posted for the other file.

Would this suggest that it's damaged?

• 12. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Would this suggest that it's damaged?

Unfortunately, that's the likely answer. Are these the "originals" as they were given to you, or do you have them on another drive somewhere to test?

Also, try MPEG Streamclip. Go into Preferences and tick the "Fix streams with data breaks" option. Then try opening the file. Any luck?

• 13. Re: xdv7 footage in Ppro
                                  Rossiter Level 1

It was sent to me on a blu ray disk.

As I've opened 99 of the 100 files, I feel confident in telling them that

there's an error with this one.

Your help has been invaluable - Thank you so much.

Linda

Linda Rossiter

Creative Director

Rossiter & Co Ltd

01695 726887

www.rossiterandco.com