8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 4:15 PM by mcohen8888

Drifting track matte location

mcohen8888

I amhaving a problem with a track matte moving when it shouldn't.  I have programmed a title clip in video 3 with a rectangle to cover a person’s face as they move to the side and toward the camera.  It tracks the face and rescales just fine as a solid shape.  In video 2, I then add a mosaic effect and track matte key effect to a copy of the primary clip, which is video 1.  I set “matte” to Video 3 and it looks good until I play it.  While the track matte effect is selected, the matte covers the face, but then drifts downward as the face moves and gets larger.  If I deselect the track matte and just show it as a solid square, the box follows the face perfectly and gets larger as needed.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Drifting track matte location
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The only thing that I can think of, that would cause this animation of Effect>Motion>Position and Motion>Scale, would be Keyframes, that were not added (or adjusted), as required. However, it sounds like you have looked at those closely. Is that correct?

Sometimes, it's too easy to add a Keyframe, where one does not wish to have one, and if the user zooms the Effect's mini-timeline in Effects Control Panel, the errant Keyframes can be seen clearly, where they kind of "stacked up" when that mini-timeline was not zoomed in fully.

Also, do you have any other animation with Keyframes on either the original Clip on Video Track 1, or the Mosaic dupe Clip on Video Track 2?

That's about all that comes to my mind, but others might have more useful input for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Drifting track matte location
            Level 4

I've noticed on some stuff that if I "scale" ( zoom in or out ) that certain "effects" tend to follow the old original frame size instead of adjusting automatically to the "scale" change...

Don't recall what I did to fix that problem.. but maybe it's the "order" that things are done in ??

• 3. Re: Drifting track matte location
              mcohen8888 Level 1

Thanks for the quick input.  I didn't see any extra keyframes, but I'll try to rebuild the animation one step at a time without the rescaling and see if that works.

• 4. Re: Drifting track matte location
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With an earlier Track Matte issue, Ann Bens provided the tip to Nest Video 1 and Video 2 w/ animations, and then in the Nested Sequence, add the Track Matte and Track Matte Keying Effect. This is THREAD (Reply 12) with her recs., but there is another with some "show-n-tell," IIRC. Can't seem to find that one yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Drifting track matte location
                  mcohen8888 Level 1

More odd symptoms (at least to me).  When I have all effects active and scrub the timeline, the matte moves to where it shouldn’t (as sadly expected).  When I highlight “motion” for video 3 (and I can see the matte’s trajectory on the program monitor), when I scrub again, the matte stays where it should be (that’s great).  But when “motion” is still highlighted and I “play” the clip, the matte moves erroneously.  I’m using version 5.0.0.  Any known issues there?  Our IT folks have the computer locked down so I can’t update, but can get them to do so if I needed.  I also dig into the suggestions posed in that other posting.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Drifting track matte location
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

At least update to 5.0.3.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Drifting track matte location
                      mcohen8888 Level 1

Finally got our IT folks to upgrade (v5.5).  It works.  No more drifting.  I opened the old 5.0.0 project in 5.5 and it works perfectly.  I should note that because I'm not an administrator of the computer, they had troubles getting 5.5 to run so they had to change the compatibility mode to Vista SP2 on the executable as mentioned in this posting, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2880860#2880860.

It feels good to know that I'm that incompetent.

Thanks much for the input.

• 8. Re: Drifting track matte location
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting that the issue is not in your CS5.5.

Good luck,

Hunt