0 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 10:45 AM by michaelttan

Applying 9.4.x patches - preventing Reader from shutting down and IE8 crashing?

michaelttan

So our base package is a 9.4.0 and trying to deploy the 9.4.2, 9.4.3 and 9.4.4 patches to thousands and thousands of users but without impacting them at the same time.  This is on Windows 7.

I've been having no success in deploying these patches where it must meet these following requirements:

- do not prompt the user to close reader, cancel or ignore if Reader is opened

- and if I do suppress the above prompting, the Reader patch will go ahead and close Reader which I do not want to do.

As I understand, patching using MSP, you should have the ability to delay the completion of the updates when the workstation is rebooted because Reader is still running and thus certain files can't be updated, which is what we do with pretty well every other application that uses the MS Installer but the Reader patches seems to do it's own thing.

Lastly, when I have IE8 and Reader opened, and the PDF is already configured to open outside of the browser, during the 9.4.4 update, IE will crash because of the data execution protection has caught an exception with the ADobe PDF Link Helper:

Log Name:      Application
      Source:        Application Error
      Date:          5/26/2011 1:29:48 PM
      Event ID:      1000
      Task Category: (100)
      Level:         Error
      Keywords:      Classic
      User:          N/A
      Computer:      ----------
      Description:
      Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16722, time stamp: 0x4d0c2f29
      Faulting module name: AcroIEHelper.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4c9aa77e
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x734b6294
      Faulting process id: 0x4f8
      Faulting application start time: 0x01cc1bc877e6b8b9
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
      Faulting module path: AcroIEHelper.dll

Of course if I have IE closed then this doesn't occur but we can't force closing IE on the user as they could be doing something critical.

Anybody have any ideas how to workaround these two problems?  At most, I could deploy 9.4.3 and just deal with the irritated users when Reader closes on them unexpectingly but the 9.4.4 patch can't be deployed because of the crash.