8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 11:25 AM by Bill Gehrke

New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice

PhotoMaster-6584585 Level 1

Hi there, this is my first time on here and it looks like this is the best place for advice.

So I've been tasked to build a new computer for a client for Premiere 5.5. He's running a very basic studio setup and his main complaint is how it takes

such a long time to render video. He told me it takes him about 6 hours to render a 40 minute sequence to MPEG2 standard(this is what he mostly renders as). I did some playing around and it turns out that his current system is relatively good but it uses a HD 6990 as its GPU(which can't even take advantage of Premier's hardware rendering capability!)

Now initially I was going to go the all SSD route with a a budget of about $2500 or so. However, after doing some reading on here, I've decided that this

isn't necessarily the best way. So I will only run the OS of an SSD. Here is what I have so far:

PROCESSOR:

Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.40Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache

(I will overclock this as much as possilbe with the Noctua cooler)

MOTHERBOARD:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Chipset

RAM:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 16GB (4x4GB) Dual Channel Kit

VIDEO CARD:

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280MB GDDR5 (012-P3-1573-AR) nVidia GeForce GTX 570Chipset(797MHz) 1280MB GDDR5 Memory(3900MHz)

POWER SUPPLY:

OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply (OCZ-ZX1000W)

HARD DRIVES:

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" 120GB Solid State Drive (OPERATING SYSTEM DISK)

Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000HLFS) 300GB SATA II 10000RPM 16MB x2 (Project Disk Run in RAID 0)

Western Digital VelociRaptor (WD3000HLFS) 300GB SATA II 10000RPM 16MB x2 (Output Disk Run in RAID 0)

CPU COOLER:

Noctua NH-D14 Six Heatpipe Dual Radiator CPU Cooler

OPTICAL DRIVE:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black SATA

Now if there are any suggestions, PLEASE let me know how I can improve this build. I really don't want to disappoint the guy, especially if he isn't going to get a great performance boost in terms of rendering time. Considering he can't use GPU acceleartion right now on his $600+ card, I would imagine this should be a better build.

Also, will there be a problem if I run four hard drives in RAID 0 mode using the motherboards onboard RAID capability?

• 1. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first problem that I see may be the height of the Ripjaws memory modules interfering with the huge Noctua cooler.

Incidentally the SSD OS drive will not improve the encoding performance at all.

I hate to tell you this but MPE hardware acceleration is not going to make a lot of difference in encoding MPEG2.  It is firstly CPU intensive and then RAM memory.sensitive.

• 2. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice

Well I did check Noctua's website for compatibility issues and it did show that I shouldn't have any problems with the RAM.

I guess I should also explain to you guys in more detail what his setup consists of right now. He does have 16GB of RAM and an I7 2600 at stock speed. Also, I noticed that his project settings are a complete mess and he often puts his project videos and does his rendering on the same hard disk. His 6990 video card is of little use since he can't use the Mercury Engine or any CUDA support.

SSD will give him better startup times and program load times and I know that's just about it. Now I know that the 2600K can be overclocked nicely up to 4.6Ghz and the new video card should help. The two RAID 0 setups should also help.

Also according to the PPBM5 benchmarking site:

"Definitely use a CUDA/MPE capable video card. It can reduce rendering time by a factor 10 and assists with scaling on export, while improving export quality. SLI is no consideration, since it is not supported. For the time being ATI is out of the game and only nVidia cards with 1 GB+ video memory are worth considering."

If this isn't the right way to go, than what is...

• 3. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice
              Harm Millaard Level 7

IMO you could save a few $$ and gain storage space without a performance penalty by exchanging the Velociraptors for WD Caviar Black 1 TB drives. They have the advantage of 64 MB cache and are very fast. Alternatively you could have a look at the Samsung F3's that perform very good as well, despite a smaller cache.

• 4. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice
                JEShort01 Level 4

Photomaster,

I think you are on the right track to speed up this guys system (2600k w/ OC, dual RAID 0) and I second Harm's comment about large 7200 drives being better than the prev. generation VR 300GB drives (HLFS series).

Be aware however that "rendering" does mean different things, and if you are thinking that MPE will increase AME rendering to MPEG2-DVD by 10x you will be very disappointed! Here is the rest of the story...

Timeline rendering, as benchmarked in PPBM5, will indeed speed up on the order of 10x with the addition of MPE using the appropriate nVidia hardware. PPBM5 is a test carefully constructed test that represents how long it takes for Adobe Premiere Pro to prepare (render) a timeline for playback. In actual use, your results will vary. Some timelines may only be sped up by 2x (i.e. very complex and/or using non-MPE effects, filters, etc.) to more than 1,000,000x faster for the case where a non-MPE system requires rendering, whereas the MPE system can play back the timeline without ANY rendering (i.e. simple SD timelines with MPE compliant effects).

Next, full timeline rendering and "exporting" from a Premiere Pro timeline to MPEG2-DVD format are both sped up, but more on the order of 2x. On my fast quad-core system, I'm getting about a 1.8x improvement from MPE assistance using the PPBM5 project for testing.

Finally, using Adobe Media Encoder (AME), and I can only speak for CS5, the MPE hardware does not even come into play and does not speed things up at all. On a positive note, Harm has reported that AME ver. 5.5 ran just over 2x as fast as ver 5.0.3; possibly the newer version is in fact tapping the MPE hardware for this gain?

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice

Alright guys, so I think I will eliminate the Raptors and replace them with Black drives. From a realistic point of view, what you guys are telling me is that it varies from project to project and I can expect an improvement, but the results will not be as great as I"m thinking in terms of overall rendering speed.

That being said, would it be worth it to go with a LGA1366 system such as the Intel Core i7 990X with more RAM and a higher price. Am I just wasting money at this point with my primary goal being to cut back rendering time?

Appreciate all the help so far guys.

• 6. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice

I guess we should have welcomed you aboard the forum

Welcome aboard!

Here is a resource that you probably have not yet seen from your questions above.  Go to the Premiere Pro BenchMark PPBM5 web site that Harm and I provide for all.  It has a wealth of information based on the PPBM5 benchmark that over 400 users have submitted to us. As you can see on MPEG2_DVD encoding my single processor (i7-980X) score of 21 seconds is 6 seconds faster than the best i7-2600K at 27 seconds (about 22% faster).

• 7. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

I have inspected the PPBM5 results list. I have discovered one thing in common with all of the top-scoring i7-9xx systems (both in MPEG-2 DVD result and overall result): They all use very expensive motherboards (priced at well over $300, and typically $400 to $600, at the time of the original purchase) and/or have expensive hardware PCI-e RAID cards. There is a reason for this discrepency: Less-expensive, more affordable X58 motherboards simply use lower-quality components than their super-expensive brandmates. As a result, the cheaper motherboards require a significantly higher voltage than expensive boards in order to achieve any given level of overclock. And the more voltage, the greater the likelihood of CPU overheating and the shorter the maximum useful life of the CPU.

In addition, the i7-980X costs three times more than the i7-2600K. With the exception of Cristobal's heavily-overclocked i7-950, none of the i7-9xx quad-core systems with less-expensive motherboards (priced at less than $250) or lack discrete hardware RAID controllers are as fast as the fastest i7-2600K systems on the list.

• 8. Re: New System Build For Premiere 5.5 Looking For Advice

Randall it sound to me like you are daring me to get a cheap x58 motherboard and duplicate the results.  I suspecr I could but it is time to start saving for the next generation CPU/motherboard.