6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 8:05 AM by meta-lingo

Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?

meta-lingo Level 1

Is there a way to force timeline markers in nested comps to appear in the next higher heirarchical level as layer markers?  My understanding from reading the docs is that timeline markers and the corresponding layer markers when the comp is nested are not connected, but I'd like to be able to shift markers around and keep track of them in higher level comps.  Is there script or something for this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Use the Replace Footage command.  Highlight the nested comp in question in the timeline, find it in the project window and Option-drag it (mac) onto the highlighted layer in the timeline.

If the timeline markers are still in the nested comp, they'll appear when you do that.

• 2. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's one caveat to Dave's method: You may need to delete exising markers on your layers to update correctly or else the nested markers will just be added and create a messy clutter or they may never appear, if another marker is already at the same time point. I believe there's also some script to update nested markers somewhere....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
              meta-lingo Level 1

Maybe I'm missing something but this doesn't seem to be working in 5.5 as far as I can tell.  I have yet to fire up a machine with 4 on it to see if it works. I'm still confounded by all the new shortcut keys in CS5, so maybe this changed too?

• 4. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm still confounded by all the new shortcut keys in CS5, so maybe this changed too?

What new shortcut keys are you referring to?

• 5. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure what you are saying. Those shortcuts haven't changed - Alt+drag to replace from the project window to the timeline or hit Ctrl+Alt+> to do the same.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Forcing Nested Markers to Appear?
                    meta-lingo Level 1

Been away ffrom this project for a while...

Haha--so many keys have changed! Command+H now hiding AE rather than replacing footage is just one hard habit to change, for instance. Or minimising the app every time I go to render. ;-)

The Alt+Drag works to replace layers as it always has, but I don't see it force-update the time markers.  Maybe I'm not understanding the description above, but I haven't been able to get the markers in the pre-comp to appear in the parent comp by "replacing" a layer with its own source comp.  My workaround has been to park the time indicator on the frame I need to reference, then use the shift-key popup layer map to move up the heirarchy until I get to the comp I want to add the marker to.  It works, but seems too labor intensive to be the best method...  The goal is to be able to easily sync events to audio cues that are buried one or more levels deep in pre comps.

Thanks again guys for your help.