6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 8:50 AM by Dave LaRonde

Freeze on rendering in AE CS4

F-LIX

don't ask 4 my spec's computer,coz no problem there. I'm just a little bit frustated when i see my project video couldn't be rendered well. not only with my current project,a couple of previous project have a same problem too. yeah,the freeze location are flexible,not always in the same frame. i need some breakthrough here.....

• 1. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> don't ask 4 my spec's computer,coz no problem there.

It seems odd that you'd ask for help and then tell us to not ask you for crucial information with which to help you.

Here are the questions that you need to answer if we're going to be able to help:

What version of After Effects? I.e., have you installed the recent updates?

Tell us about your computer hardware.

What operating system?

What kind(s) of source footage?

Has this ever worked before?

What other software are you running?

Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed?

Are you rendering with OpenGL?

Does the problem only happen with your final output, or does it happen with RAM preview?

Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

• 2. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
            F-LIX Level 1

i'm running on Win 7 ultimate  32 bit

RAM 4GB

Intel i5

graphic card: ATI Radeon 4600,2 GB memory

hardisk capactiy 512 GB,split into 3 part(C,D,E)

using AE CS4, yes,sometimes it rendered susccessfully,but it had to be render into .mov split into more than 3 part

FOOTAGE? .mov video and HQ picture

when rendering,no other application si running

which codec? i've installed K-lite codec, quicktime also

never use open GL & Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing

3rd part? do you mean plugins? if it correct, yes i've (video copliot & trapcode)

• 3. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
              F-LIX Level 1

oh ya,one more thing. my version is AE CS4 9.0

• 4. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> my version is AE CS4 9.0

There have been three big bug-fix updates since 9.0. Apply the recent updates.

> i've installed K-lite codec

Ooh. That's a terrible idea. The K-Lite codec pack is notorious for doing lots of damage to the functioning of video applications (including After Effects).

Note the warning on the K-Lite download here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codec-packs

"Warning! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer."

• 5. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
                  F-LIX Level 1

oucchh! A huge thx from me, it's good 2 know that maybe a major problem is the K-lite. so, i've to uninstall it now? and what's the alternative one?

anyway, i just update my AE and turn into 9.0.3

• 6. Re: Freeze on rendering in AE CS4
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

F-LIX wrote:

...what's the alternative one?

I particularly enjoy Quicktime Pro 7.x for windows.  Best 35 bucks you'll spend in four months, especially when you enable the legacy codecs in preferences.

Other items....

• You can forget about using multiprocessing in AE until you graduate to a 64-bit operating system and trick that machine out with a boatload of RAM.  At work I have a dual quad-core machine with 8 gigs; I don't use multiprocessing because I don't have enough memory to make multiprocessing work efficiently.  At home I have a dual quad-core machine, but with 24 gigs; multiprocessing works just fine.

• If you're using long-gop video footage, AE 9 is very likely to give you fits... as is any any pre-AE 10 version.  Here's a cut 'n paste response I composed on the topic for use on the Creative COW:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is  any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information.  However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information.  Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless.  I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.