6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 7:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Nvidia GeForce GTX 485M GPU - Anyone Used It?

the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Sager laptop for CS5.5 MC.

I have the options for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 485M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory, or the Nvidia Quadro FX 3800M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory. The difference is ~ US$500, and pays for a bunch of other options.

Unless it has just been updated, the GTX 485M is not directly supported for hardware MPE, but I assume that by applying the hack for that card, it should work. Does anyone have experience with that less-expensive card?

My old workstation (soon to be replaced too), has a Quadro FX-4500, which has been a stout card for years, however was crazy expensive, and I never have really put it to the test, considering what I do.

If I have to go with the FX 3800M, then so be it, but I'd rather buy more toys.

Thanks for your observations and thoughts,

Hunt

PS - I know that Sager's biggest market is the gaming world, but it is getting harder to get a top-level laptop without SLI for dual-nVidia cards/chips, or Crossfire for the ATI/AMD. As soon as I take delivery, Adobe will probably announce that PrPro NOW fully supports SLI, but I'll live with it.