8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 6:37 PM by D&R Films

CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97

D&R Films Level 1

Okay... Been seeing this one a lot lately. 720/60P AVCHD footage from GH2. Double click in the bin to see if it's the clip I wish to use. Then right-click the clip in the bin>modify>interpret footage type in 23.97 to get nice slomo. In CS5 the clip in the monitor would stretch so you'd need to scroll to the right to find the place your playhead was setting to set in/out but in CS5.5 sometimes it stops early as if interpreting the footage has somehow cut the clip off... OR anything past the original viewable area is now black video!... Maybe I should make an example to show the issue? Lemme find my camtasia install disc.

• 1. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What "stops early?" Are you talking about the playhead, or the actual video? If you drag the whole clip into a sequence without marking it, is everything there?

• 2. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
            D&R Films Level 1

The actual video! It ends at the original duration or it's black past the original duration.

• 3. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Just as a troubleshoot: if you close the clip in the Source Monitor and then reopen it from the bin/Project panel, does it appear correctly? And again, what about if you drop it in a sequence?

(PS: How do you like the GH2? I'm looking at one of those...)

• 4. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
                D&R Films Level 1

Okay.. installed camtasia again.. lemme make a video..

Nevermind... a reboot musta fixed it! I can't get it to happen now. Ah well, if it pops up again, I'll be ready to record the screen.

Love the GH2 btw. It's the best dslr-type real hybrid for video out there. With the audio meters and adjustable audio levels, excellent 1080P and even great 720/60P. I hardly ever see aliasing /moire either. I can't recommend it enough if you want a real hybrid hdslr with an emphasis on video.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ain't that the way it goes?

I'd probably blame the AVCHD footage above all else. I tried a few other 60p clips that I had--all non AVCHD--and reinterpreting them didn't cause any issues that I could discern. Because of the interframe nature of AVCHD, it's likely that you were just looking at cached frames--and frames that hadn't been recached. This can be even trickier once you reinterpret the footage, but I haven't noticed anything of this sort with the Canon DSLR and AF100 AVCHD footage I regularly work with.

Thanks for the rec. on the GH2. I was all set to get a Nikon D5100, but that sounds like it's got too many compromises. I'm kind of a Panasonic guy anyway, so it seems a natural fit

• 6. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
                    D&R Films Level 1

I never saw it with any other footage and not in CS5 only in the latest version 5.5 in both the trial and full install.

Oh, you can also hit record and walk away from the GH1/GH2 with no record limits other than media capacity. And a 16GB card will hold an hour and 45 mins at the highest quality 1080P24 just like their AVCCAM cameras.

• 7. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
                      TradeWind Level 3

It is pretty well known that the moire issues common to most DSLR video are non-existant on the Panasonic GH2. It's a reasonably priced camera, albeit with the "sacrifice" of 4/3 sensor. Of course, there's not much gained/lost against the 7D or 5D comparitively. Again, though, the price is cheaper, and the GH2 is much better suited to video production since those features were planned for the GH2. The 7D and 5D, on the other hand, were never originally expected to do be used the way they have been used.

The single biggest negative aspect of the GH2 is that it is not a Canon and therefore has a bit of a task trying to work with your existing Canon glass (if you have any). I still think Canon has the best glass, but the rest of the stuff out there isn't shabby either. Panasonic's kit lens (the 14mm-140mm zoom) is pretty nice.

And for event work or nature videography, you should look into the crop 1:1 function on the GH2 that effectively puts your zoom range on steroids when shooting video. Very cool stuff...not available on any other DSLR that I'm aware of.

I'm also a Panasonic loyalist

• 8. Re: CS5.5 issue. Interpret footage 60P to 23.97
                        D&R Films Level 1

TADA! It happened again so I found this thread and recorded it! Notice, the video stops short. It does play when dropped on the timeline, but it's a real pain if you have an hour of footage and just need a small in/out point and hafta put the entire clip on the timeline because of this bug.