4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 8:01 AM by Steve Grisetti

Can't view .mov files in Organizer

cabext Level 1

Hi

I am in the process of moving my video footage from iMovie (Mac) to a Windows 7 PC with Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

On my Mac I have converted the files to .mov with the 'photo jpeg' codec, which seems to be a fair compromise between size and quality. (Sadly, iMovie has converted all of it to Apple Intermediate Codec on import, which seems to be absolutely impossible to handle on a PC, so I have to do something, since I don't have the original files anymore ...)

On my PC, the files play nicely in QuickTime - they even played in Windows Media Player before I installed QuickTime. (However, I don't see thumbnails/miniatures of the files in Explorer.)

But ... when I import to Elements Organizer, I can neither play the files nor do I see any thumbnails. In stead, I get this error message:

'The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the requiered compressor/decompressor (codec) installed'

Which I don't understand, since my system plays the files perfectly on itself.

If I try to add these files to a Premiere project, they do play back (but look awful), and I am able to export a clip (which looks OK).

But the whole point for me of using Photoshop/Premiere Elements was to organize my stills and video in the same application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Can't view .mov files in Organizer
          Akshat B Adobe Employee

try updating the Quick time on your Windows PC

• 2. Re: Can't view .mov files in Organizer
            Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Regarding the quality in Premiere Elements, do the MOV files have the correct dimensions?

For example, you expect 1920x1080 but are actually getting 1620x1080. That can happen if you forgot to unlock the aspect ratio during conversion on the MAC. You type in 1920 for horizontal width and then type in 1080 for vertical height, but don't see that the horizontal width was automatically adjusted to 1620. And off you go. That can make the video look bad in Premiere Elements, although it shouldn't affect whether you can view the files in the Organizer.

The MOV files shouldn't play back in Windows Media Player on a PC (at least on my system they don't), unless you have installed a codec pack or another application has been installed that installed a quicktime codec that allows playing MOV files in Windows Media Player.

When you are in Windows Explorer with the view set to Thumbnails, if you don't get a thumbnail image for the MOV files, you might be able to fix it with the Codec Tweak Tool. After installing and running it, click on the Thumbnail button and select the MOV option if it isn't selected. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Codec_Tweak_Tool. I'm not sure that will have any effect on the view in the Organizer, but it's worth a shot.

• 3. Re: Can't view .mov files in Organizer
              cabext Level 1

Thank you ...

But maybe I should put my question in another way:

What codec/format would you advice me to convert my Apple Intermediate Codec-footage from iMovie to?

• 4. Re: Can't view .mov files in Organizer
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ideally, DV.