9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2011 9:48 PM by ~mez

AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram

~mez

Hi,

I'm lost as to why AE effects is running extremely slow. These are my specs:

Computer

Mac OS X 10.6.3

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

8 gb memory (1067 Mhz DDR3)

CS4

AE preferences

Cache:

Disk Cache- 5000MB to folder on harddrive (harddrive has 13G free)

Conformed Media Cache- folder on harddrive

Memory:

min allocation per CPU: 2GB

Foreground memory usage: 1.79 GB

Background memory usage: 5.6 GB

ACtual CPUs that will be used: 2

CPU's for other apps: 0

Nb: I don't have problems with the speed of other applications running, I have issues with the speed of AE & I've played with these memory settings & nothing change eg allocating more to other apps etc

- Is it CS4 that's the problem?? I've read that CS4 is slower thatn CS3... is upgrading to CS5 the answer??

- Do i need more core processors??

- Settings incorrect?

Any clues??

thanks!

• 1. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
          bogiesan Level 4

Hi,

I'm lost as to why AE effects is running extremely slow. These are my specs:

This is a groundless statement unless you know that it should be working faster or you have suddenly experienced a dramatic change in performance.

You have provided no information about the project sizes or codecs you work in, the effects you like to use, or why you think your computer is underperforming. Give us a bit more to go on.

editorially speaking, not directed at your personally:

I don't have much patience with these posts because there is so much information available to improve AE's performance factors just with a simple search of the user community. But performance and rendering speeds are relative, we really have nothing to complain about these days. When I started using After Effects, back when it was known as CoSA, I needed a weekend to render ten seconds of one effect on one layer. It's all magic today compared to those days.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

You may not enjoy reading what Bogesian wrote, but every single point he makes is valid.  Take it to heart.

To answer your query directly, forget about multiprocessing.  You only have 2 cores.  You need a better machine, (more cores, at least 16 gigs RAM) to make multiprocessing to work for you successfully in AE 9.

And I'm guessing you didn't enjoy reading that, either.

Incidentally, you should get the free upgrade to AE 9.0.3.  It came out AFTER the release of AE 10:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/after-effects-cs4-9-0-3-update.html

• 3. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about memory and improving performance in After Effects.

• 4. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                ~mez Level 1

Thanks for replying despite being frustrated by my question - I should have given project details as well.

I was trying out something I saw in a tutorial ( first 10 mins of this to be precise:

http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/smart-volume-meter/

)

So the project was:

- AE file is 598kb on disk

- codec was DV PAL

- used one Colorize effect & Ramp effect

- one expression

- visual comp quality set to one third

At this point, scrolling through to check the expression was working would result in abot 3 sec wait to get from one frame to another.

I guess the reason I came to the forum was that I've played around with the settings & it would seem the only other thing I could change is upgrading to more Cores if I intend on playing aorund with more than a few effects at one time.

• 5. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

~mez wrote:

I was trying out something I saw in a tutorial ( first 10 mins of this to be precise:

http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/smart-volume-meter/

I see you write "trying out" something.  If you substituted your own audio, you should know that AE does NOT work well with compressed audio: mp3, ac3, etc.  If you used compressed audio, convert it to a wav or aiff file and try again.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                    ~mez Level 1

Hi Dave,

I tried changing the audio type but that didn't make any noticeable difference - but thankyou - will definitely keep that in mind.

One last question - when you say "You need a better machine" would you say 4 core is sufficient.

I understand that it depends on the projects but a rough pointer would help. I want to start teaching myself more about the effects & expressions side of affter effects as I've currently been using it in a fairly elementary level. If you're curious this is some of what i've done up until this point:

http://vimeo.com/user7136019

Thanks again

• 7. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                      ~mez Level 1

ps... I'm trying the wave world plugin now (with a few color effects & expressions) which leads my computer to crash.

I guess I just want to be sure if I invest in a 4 core will this more than likely not be an issue or do i need more cores?

thanks!

• 8. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                        Navarro Parker Level 3

With only 13GB free on your startup drive, it sounds like you have a pretty full disk (I'm guessing it's either a 500GB or 1TB drive)?

When you are rendering, open your Activity Monitor (It's in the Utilities folder).  Check on the System Memory tab.  In it, there's VM Size, Page In and Page Out, and Swap Used number.  That's your virtual memory.  Ideally, it should have zero page in/outs.   Also check the Disk Activity tab. If there are hundreds of reads or writes, that also means your hard drive is very busy (possibly due to the virtual memory).  Checking these number would help determine if your OS is starved for RAM, or if AE is just being slow.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: AE runs very slow despite 8gb ram
                          ~mez Level 1

Thanks Navarro.

Pages ins: 851.6Mb

Page outs: 492 kb

much too high??

&

My page in&out / per second generally stay under 10...

but (the totals)

Reads in: 169591

Read out: 620329    and counting...

If it's these figures that are supposed to be zero (?), then I'm guessing this is much much too high & definitely part of the cause???

Thanks again, I've not looked at the monitor before!

Cheers