8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 8:09 AM by John T Smith

PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9

ChrisRichardson123

I’m speccing a PC for my brother-in-law, primarily for editing HD quality videos with Adobe Premiere Elements 9. His current PC is a 5 year old Dell (Pentium dual core 3ghz I think) and it just cannot handle the HD videos from his Sony camera.

I've been looking at the new Z68 motherboards with intgrated graphics and have the following spec:

• Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
      • Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
      • Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel

Do his look OK?  And is it necessary to have an additional grapics card to boost performance?  My main concern is we purchase all of this kit and then find that it's still not up to the job for PE9.

Any advice welcome.  Thanks, Chris

• 1. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, that's certainly more than enough power to edit hi-def video. Assuming, of course, that your hi-def video is coming from a traditional source: an HDV tape-based camcorder, an AVCHD cam, a Flip camcorder or a high-end DSLR like the Canon D series.

The other issue is, of course, the operating system. A lot of people are finding problems running this program on Windows 7 64-bit due to occasional conflicts with the hardware drivers.

A 64-bit operating system is certainly an investment in the future. Future software and computer hardware will take advantage of it. But, for now, it can be liability when working with Premiere Elements 9.

So I'm not sure what to recommend on that front. The current version of the program runs very well on my Windows 7 32-bit. But, a year or two from now, will the 64-bit OS have been a better long-term investment? I can't say.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
            ChrisRichardson123 Level 1

Thanks steve,

The camcorder is a Sony Hi Def Handy Cam (AVCHD).

I'd heard about the 64bit issues and am considering sticking with XP until these are ironed out.  Is a shame though as the 32bit OS will be unablee to address all of the memory available.  Any benefits (apart from a shiny new OS) to Win7 over XP with regard to video editing?

Chris

• 3. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

with intgrated graphics

Is this embedded chip either ATI, or nVidia, or is it Intel?

If ATI, or nVidia, then you should be fine, so long as the chip is currently supported for driver updates. If it's an Intel, I would by-pass it, and go with an ATI, or nVidia card. You do not need a lot of GPU horsepower, so eithers' lower-end cards should work fine. The key issue is driver support, and Intel has almost zero.

I would recommend going with a 2x HDD setup, w/ no partitions. The System drive, C:\, can be smaller, but video editing will benefit from a larger second HDD, say 1TB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9

And certainly Windows 7 is an improved operating system all around. Not quite as lean as XP, but more efficient and powerful in a number of ways.

It's only the 64-bit version that seems bit premature.

• 5. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I had held out hopes that Win7-64 SP1 would improve the built-in driver support, but I have not seen many reports that the improvement came, as anticipated. What are your feelings on this?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9

People are still reporting problems interfacing Premiere Elements 9 with Windows 7 64-bit both here and on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com, Bill.

But it's likely either the operating system will eventually evolve or the Premiere Elements (version 10?) will evolve to take better advantage of it. We'll have to see what the coming year brings.

• 7. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
                      ChrisRichardson123 Level 1

The key issue is driver support, and Intel has almost zero.

Thats a shame.....It's an Intel (Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals)....as I understand a large chunk of the processor/z68 chipset is thrown at the graphics.

I would recommend going with a 2x HDD setup, w/ no partitions. The System drive, C:\, can be smaller, but video editing will benefit from a larger second HDD, say 1TB.

So 2 disks:

1 for OS + Prem El

1 for the video editing - i assume this is where we need to store the workfiles etc for Prem El

Thanks for this advice...v useful

• 8. Re: PC Spec for Premiere Elements 9
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do decide to go with Win7 64bit PRO or higher, you may want to read...

For Win7 64bit Pro or Ultimate (or Enterprise?) this is ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693?tstart=0

Minimum 2 hard drives... I use 3

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                        1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                        2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                        3 - 1T WD all video files... input & write files