8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 12:29 PM by Todd_Kopriva

AE incorrectly states ram memory.

Keikamaui

When I first installed CS5 I was running 8 GB of ram memory.  In the settings of AE, it registered that correctly.  Then I added 16 more GB and presently the settings reads: "16 GB of ram available."  I reinstalled AE CS5 and still get the 16 GB statement.  AE runs fine, but I wonder if I'm missing out on getting 24 GB of rendering power here?  Suggestions? 

My system is:  HP 480t HPE desktop, I7, 24GB, Win 7.  My computer diagnostics recognizes the ram running at 24 GB. 

• 1. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Where exactly are you seeing that message from After Effects, and what exactly does it say? A screenshot would be very useful.

• 2. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

In addition to Todd's questions, you should also check your machine's system information: does it see 8 or 24 gigs?

You should also so that some machines require you to get memory chips of equal size; I ordered my home HP machine with two 1-gig sticks -- the minimum -- and then I immediately threw 'em away and replaced 'em with two 12-gig sticks.

• 3. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
              Keikamaui Level 1

Mahalo Todd and Dave,

Here is a screenshot of my computer system performance

and status info and the  AE 'Preference' page where this discrepancy appears.

The computer status shows I have 24GB of ram memory.

Under the Preference, Memory & Multiprocessing: "Installed Ram: 16GB.

Ram reserved for other aps, 3GB.  Ram available for AE:  13GB."

I yanked the 8GB memory that originally came with the computer and installed

fresh new 6x4GB memory sticks for a total of 24 GB.  I wonder if there is a problem

with memory sharing or pooling with Photoshop.  But I don't run any other CS5 program

when AE is running and I still get this same 16BG reading.  Maybe by looking at the

screenshots you two may see a conflict. Your help is appreciated!

keikamaui_system.jpg

• 4. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just looked at the code for this, and it's making a direct call to the Windows operating system to get the amount of RAM available---so Windows must be reporting that 16GB is all that's available.

Try this: Open Photoshop with no other applications open. Go to the Performance preferences in Photoshop and tell me what the Available RAM amount is in the Memory Usage seciton there.

• 5. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
                  Keikamaui Level 1

For Photoshop with no other applications running, I see:

Available Ram:  3255MB.  60% of that is allocated for the

program when it's running.  With Premiere Pro, I get the same

16GB installed ram detected as with AE.  It probably is a

Windows registry glitch here.  CS5 is running great, and I

didn't really notice any problem until just seeing that my

24GB of ram wasn't getting its due respect in the preferences

tools.   With the i7 Pentium processor, 16GB renders quite

well with AE.  This HP 480t computer isn't built anymore. It

came with a 2GB Nvidia graphics card that I can't find any

record of, or device driver for.  Custom built, this computer

could be a tad buggy.  Thumbs up to you for your help.

• 6. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your RAM bars do not match and your onboard controller is probably doing something odd with your missing 8GB due to that triple channel thing on coreXi processors..... You can always try to reset the BIOS. also make sure to re-install any motherboard specific drivers and let them run their auto-configure regime.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
                      Keikamaui Level 1

Thank you Mylenium, uh, I wonder if perhaps because I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium

which has a 16GB ceiling to it, that perhaps this may be the culprit here?  I can upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate

which allows something like 150+GB of ram to run, might this solve my problem?  I'm not a

professional videographer, so I don't work in HD or run a business, so Windows 7 Home Premium

is my platform and CS5 is a terrific product for someone who grew up on Flash 5.  I assume AE does

not run independent of the operating system, so it must rely on the ram the OS allows for the aps?

• 8. Re: AE incorrectly states ram memory.
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I wonder if perhaps because I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium

which has a 16GB ceiling to it, that perhaps this may be the culprit here?

Yep.