8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 12:02 PM by theboyk

Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?

theboyk Level 1

Does anyone know of a Mac-compatible alternative for SpiceMaster for creating feathered wipe video transitions? I've just been handed off a job (let's just say the company who started it is "no longer in the picture") and all they used feathered wipe via the SpiceMaster plug-in about 100-150 times (in a 15 minute video — sigh). Anyways, I can't change the visual direction of the project, I just have to clean up the mess. We're Mac-only and the SpiceMaster plug-in isn't available on the Mac.

While one option is to use a liner wipe Video Effect (which allows for the feather), because of the amount of transitions in this job, that's not only a major pain in the arse in itself, but having to move clips in alternating tracks and overlap the footage, etc. becomes a huge headache when they decide to change the edit (as, all of a sudden, the alternating of the clips to different tracks goes all out of wack).

Anyway, I'm hoping someone could suggest a Video Transition plug-in that would allow me to do feathered wipes. It'd mean the difference between a quick replacing of the SpiceMaster transition with whatever plug-in I could use vs. a nightmare of a project using the linear wipe Video Effect.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!
      Kristin.

• 1. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
          dradeke Adobe Employee

There is a built in gradient wipe effect that allows you to substitute the default gradient for one of your choosing.  You could either use the Spicemaster gradients or create your own. Below is a quick screen shot from my mac laptopScreen shot 2011-05-27 at 11.54.52 AM.png

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
            theboyk Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I've tried using the gradient wipe, but was unsuccessful in attaining the desired effect. Here's a quick screencap to show what I'm seeing:

KM_GradWipe.png

The problem is, this results in a very narrow wipe. I mean, it's no longer a fine line between image1 and image2, there is some feather, but I really need to feather it out. The gradient I created is the same dimensions as the sequence I'm working in, and is a gradient from 100% black on the left side to pure white on the right, with a nice gradient in between. But, when I use this, it's almost like the source gradient is squished in (on the width) resulting in a very narrow feathered wipe.

Below is an example of the rendered video as it was when using SpiceMaster to create the feathered wipe. The first image is the image directly before the wipe starts, the second image the image directly after the end of the wipe, and the third image is a capture mid-wipe. As you can see, there is a very wide feather during the transition as opposed to what is seen in the screen capture above.

wipe_start.png

wipe_end.png

wipe_middle.png

Am I doing something wrong when creating my custom gradient? It seems like, since my source file is a nice, wide gradient, it should result in a wide feather, but for some reason it seems to squish down into a narrow feather?

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Kristin.

• 3. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
              shooternz Level 6

The Linear Transition will do this for you.

"Linear" search the fx pane.

Edit : Sorry . Re read your post properly and discovered you went down this route.

• 4. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
                dradeke Adobe Employee

One thing I might suggest from the first screenshot of your gradient would be to draw your gradient from edge to edge.  I see a bunch of black on the left and white on the right.  You can make your gradient smoother by drawing it longer.  In other words, draw your gradient from the left most side of your canvas to the right most and this should result in a wider gradient transition.

• 5. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
                  theboyk Level 1

I think that's just the way the screenshot looks. I'm looking at the Photoshop file right now and the left edge registers RGB 0/0/0 (Black) and the right edge registers RGB 255/255/255 (white) with a smooth, even gradient in between. So, I have no idea why it's resulting in this very narrow feathered gradient?

k.

• 6. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Right.

What I'm thinking is that you want only the left most pixel to be black.  The adjacent pixel should be slightly gray - creating a longer and smoother gradient.

Help any?

Dennis

• 7. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Also, have you played with the softness slider at the bottom of the dialog box?

• 8. Re: Mac-compatible plug-in for feathered-wipe video transitions?
                        theboyk Level 1

Yea, I've tested both options (your above two posts) in the past when trying to do a feathered wipe in Premiere for a different job (the job involved converting a project started in Final Cut to Premiere — FC has a feathered wipe transition and Premiere doesn't). Your second post above (softness) was how I solved it that particular time, but the problem with using the softness is, it totally throws off the timing of the transition. As soon as you start increasing the softness, the point in which the transition actually takes place (visually) is delayed vs where the transition is set to begin in the timeline, and the point in which the transition ends (visually) is earlier than when it ends in the timeline. So, a 2 second transition in the timeline, when the softness was increased, resulted in a shorter visual transition on screen. This became a problem when trying to time things properly in the timeline (as transitions always started later and ended sooner than they were supposed to). Was hoping to not have to return to this hackery on this project (as again, it just ends up taking way longer than it should for having the ability to do a simple [or not so simple, in the case of Premiere] feathered wipe.

k.