3 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 9:20 AM by Jim Wiley

FLV Playback Captioning XML styling

HollyLearnAbility

Hi ya,

I'm creating accessible content for a html elearning module. I'm including video, which I have successfully imported into flash, and added captions to by linking a XML document.

The issue I am having is that my styling in the XML isn't working in flash, and my captions play in a tiny horrible font, making it very difficult for people to read, therefore not making it accessible content.

I've used two tutorials online to create these styles in XML but neither are working.

I'm using CS5 Flash and Dreamweaver.

XML content is as follows: (I have removed my content for the script)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <tt xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ttaf1"  xmlns:tts="http://www.w3.org/2006/04/ttaf1#styling">

<head>
      <styling>
      <style id="1" tts:fontFamily="_serif"
                                    tts:colour="#FFFFFF"
                                  tts:fontWeight="bold"
                                  tts:fontSize="16" />
      </styling>

</head>

<body>
      <div xml:lang="en">
                    <p begin="00:00:00.25">script here</p>
                    <p begin="00:00:05.00">
      script here</p>
                    <p begin="00:00:08.00">
      script here</p>
                    <p begin="00:00:12.00">
      script here</p>

</div>
      </body>

</tt>

Can anyone advise me on how I can get these flash captions in a decent font/size using the XML?

I did have a semi work around, which was creating a dynamic text field in flash and linking this to the captions compontent, which allows me to embed any font / size i require. The issue is I need the captions on a black bar over the video, and if I add a static black box underneth the white captions it will not disspear if someone uses the 'turn off captions' button on the player. Is there a way I can link the toggle captions player button to turn on / off both the dynamic text field and the black bar?

thanks,

Holly