8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2008 1:11 AM by Knight240 RSS

Corrupt JPEG Data

jsbrown
      Whenever I open the Assets tab in Dreamweaver 8 (am using XP Pro), I get a one-after-the-other series of the error message: Corrupt JPEG data: 11 extraneous bytes before marker 0xdb . The number of extraneous bytes varies (58, 4, etc) and so does the 0x number (0xd9, 0xc4, etc.)

I don't know which jpg files are causing the problem and there are hundreds of them listed within Dreamweaver Assets.

How can I determine which jpeg files are corrupt?
        • 1. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
          MHW-Pooder
          Using Dreamweaver 8, on Win XP-Pro computer, in a Template page/file, I'm getting a similar error that reads:

"Address JPEG Library Editor: Corrupt JPEG data: bad Huffman code."
          I have searched high and low on Adobe/Macromedia and have not found anything even remotely addressing this issue.

I am wondering how I determine which image is corrupted and how to fix it.
          • 2. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
            Newsgroup_User Community Member
            How many JPG images are on the page?

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"MHW-Pooder" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:es7am1$3m9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Using Dreamweaver 8, on Win XP-Pro computer, in a Template page/file, I'm
            > getting a similar error that reads:
            >
            > "Address JPEG Library Editor: Corrupt JPEG data: bad Huffman code."
            > I have searched high and low on Adobe/Macromedia and have not found
            > anything
            > even remotely addressing this issue.
            >
            > I am wondering how I determine which image is corrupted and how to fix it.
            >

• 3. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
              Move each image out of it's current folder otside of Dreamweaver using
              Windows Explorer. Then reopen the page each time until you figure out which
              image is giving you difficulty.

The Huffman code is the binary code used to describe your inmage. It has
              nothing to do with Adobe/Macromedia or Dreamweaver, that's why you can't
              find info about it there.

"MHW-Pooder" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:es7am1$3m9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Using Dreamweaver 8, on Win XP-Pro computer, in a Template page/file, I'm
              > getting a similar error that reads:
              >
              > "Address JPEG Library Editor: Corrupt JPEG data: bad Huffman code."
              > I have searched high and low on Adobe/Macromedia and have not found
              > anything
              > even remotely addressing this issue.
              >
              > I am wondering how I determine which image is corrupted and how to fix it.
              >

• 4. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
                RichR49
                Why does Dreamweaver bother with this error message about "corrupt jpeg data: premature end of data segment" if the image, created in Photoshop, works fine on the web page, and in any other software?? Since Adobe/Macromedia hard coded this error message into Dreamweaver, they should be able to disable it in a patch. I would like to see a complete list of Dreamweaver error messages along with a solution to fix the problem, in the back of the manual that comes with the software. It is currently not documented anywhere.
                • 5. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
                  > Why does Dreamweaver bother with this error message about "corrupt jpeg
                  > data:
                  > premature end of data segment" if the image, created in Photoshop, works
                  > fine
                  > on the web page, and in any other software??

Most likely because the image has a corrupted data segment that your limited
                  test of software chooses to ignore?

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

"RichR49" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ghr65t$6ep$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Why does Dreamweaver bother with this error message about "corrupt jpeg
                  > data:
                  > premature end of data segment" if the image, created in Photoshop, works
                  > fine
                  > on the web page, and in any other software?? Since Adobe/Macromedia hard
                  > coded
                  > this error message into Dreamweaver, they should be able to disable it in
                  > a
                  > patch. I would like to see a complete list of Dreamweaver error messages
                  > along
                  > with a solution to fix the problem, in the back of the manual that comes
                  > with
                  > the software. It is currently not documented anywhere.
                  >

• 6. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
                    RichR49 Community Member
                    Photoshop doesn't detect it. What do you suggest I use to find this corrupted file, besides plowing thru the hundreds that are on my website? Wouldnt it be easier if DW advised what file annoyed it so much?
                    • 7. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
                      Knight240
                      I had this problem. I used Thumbs Plus to resave every image file using a batch process. The problem went away. But I have a new site with 60 folders.....so I must go and resave every image one folder at a time now.
                      • 8. Re: Corrupt JPEG Data
                        Knight240 Community Member
                        I had this problem. I used Thumbs Plus to resave every image file using a batch process. The problem went away. But I have a new site with 60 folders.....so I must go and resave every image one folder at a time now.