4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 8:23 AM by PrintingByDBE

Proofing System

PrintingByDBE Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question...

Im setting up a site for my company, and i wanted to have a proofing system...

Example: if you wanted to order a business card... you pload your picture, type in your name... and then you'd see your sample on screen before you place your order...

Is there some coding you can throw in to help do this?

is there some software that can do this?

any ideas?

Much Apprieicated!!!

• 1. Re: Proofing System
          pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Your skill level with html/css/javascript/php will depend on if/how you do this.

Is there some coding you can throw in to help do this?

Not that I know of as you are talking about all the above, this includes doing file up-load for the image, JavaScript or php for displaying the image, (ajax if you do not wish a new page loading to display the card). JavaScript to display the text imputed by the user in the correct font/formatting.

is there some software that can do this?

Again, no. When such things are used they are normally custom built or adaptations of the code from other sites.

any ideas?

Plenty, but they all require a good understanding of the above techs.

PZ

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Proofing System
            PrintingByDBE Level 1

Hey PZ, Thanks for the reply...

My skill level with html/css/javascript/php i would say is a little above average... lol

I'm not knowledgeable in AJAX at all.. so i would try to stick with Javascript or PHP to hopefully get this done...

The concept does include an up-load form to up-load an image, & I'm guessing JavaScript or php to display the image, & JavaScript to display the text imputed by the user to make sure they have the correct font/format.

(whole idea is this: user goes to the website; start to place an order for a custom Business card; Up-loads there own photo; inputs there own information onto the card; then they will see a "proof" on screen; and then submits the order for me to print.)

Thats the whole basic idea! i hope this helps!

• 3. Re: Proofing System
              pziecina Adobe Community Professional

Hi

Taking this one step at a time the first things I would recommend is setting up the database and the basic page layout for the business card app itself. Your initial problem will be the image upload, and resizing of the image without any cropping. Allowing the user to resize the image 'on-screen' is possible but doing so cross--browser would in my opinion not be worth while, (Just to let you know that it is possible). Then for the text I would recommend using Cuffon as the text replacement option to display the text in the customers selected font, unless they have their own font option.

The reason I recommend Cuffon and not SiFR or @font-face is that SiFR will not work on the iPad as it uses flash to replace the font, (I am ignoring the iPhone, here, but if you wish to include this device it would be your decision, but again I would personally not consider it worth while). As for the @font-face rule this would require that every font used be licensed for delivery over the web, so would potentially be very expensive to implement.

If you are not going to use ajax, (would be worth learning for such an app) then use a 'pop-up-window' to display the finished preview. Don't forget that all options and the uploaded images file name/location must be saved to the database, a session and a cookie on the users machine, sessions are no use for this alone as you should allow the user to save the options used, so then can order at a latter date, (or re-view the card) and a session is destroyed after a, (relatively short) given time but always when the browser is closed. It is necessary to save the image file name/location, (and the image itself on your server) for a set time as you do not want to ask the user to re-upload if they order or save for a possible future order, (30 days is the minimum time limit normally used).

Using a few 'pre-set' layout options, such as image right or left, (or even background) with the standard left/right/centre text align and pre-set colors using a color-picker would make this simpler. The reason I say this is due to fonts being different in there actual size even if the same point size is used, (as you no doubt know) as the last thing you should present is a font that overflows or is too small to read on the card. A basic font should be used initially for display but allow the option for the user to input their own 'personal' font preference into the font-family rule, but with a note that the font must be installed on their computer for a correct preview.

Hope there is enough here to get you started/thinking on initial concept.

PZ

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Proofing System
                PrintingByDBE Level 1

Oh Wow, thats alot to get me started, I'll check back with you when im ready to jump on this project!

Thank you very much, Til Next Time!