4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 6:57 PM by EH....?

Video dropout healing

EH....? Level 1

Videos from one of my earliest cameras produced what I termed a 'dancing pixel', caysed by a  'dead' pixel on the camera's receptor chip that blighted every frame of video I shot on it. The problem always appeared in the same relative area, but deviated in position somewhat from frame to frame, and was exaggerated by appearing white with a black border so it is quite noticable. Is it possible to use a healing brush in After Effects or Premiere to correct this problem?

• 1. Re: Video dropout healing
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

EH....? wrote:

... a  'dead' pixel on the camera's receptor chip that blighted every frame of video I shot on it. The problem always appeared in the same relative area, but deviated in position somewhat from frame to frame, and was exaggerated by appearing white with a black border... Is it possible to use a healing brush in After Effects or Premiere to correct this problem?

If it is, you'd probably have to apply it on a frame-by-frame basis.  Ugh.

I think this camera had other problems than what you suspect.  In my experience, a dead pixels are dead pixels, and they don't move around: they're dead, y'know?  They CAN'T move.  You might accumulate more of them over time, but none of them move.

• 2. Re: Video dropout healing
            EH....? Level 1

Whatever the cause is immaterial, Dave.  The fact that the pixel 'dances' is an advantage in that there is picture information before and after each frame if required for ther purposes of interpolation of picture information.  As boring as it might be, I am quite prepared to 'paint' on a frame-by-frame basis.  The question is, am I able to do so in AE, and if so, how.

NormanF

• 3. Re: Video dropout healing
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Read up about the Clone Stamp tool.

• 4. Re: Video dropout healing
                EH....? Level 1

Thanks, Andrew.  This is just what the doctor ordered!  NF