5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 5:18 PM by the_wine_snob

Crop and Zoom

m_e_g

I want to crop and/or zoom into a corner of a clip in my project, and then slowly zoom back out to show the entire clip. But I can't figure out how to accomplish this. When I use the crop or clip effect, it remains for the length of the clip. To give you an idea of what I mean, there is a car that starts on the left side of the clup and goes out of frame after a few seconds, so I want to avoid showing the car by starting with a zoomed in view of the right side of the clip.

How can I zoom in on portion of my clip, then back out again?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Crop and Zoom
          Nash_John Level 3

You can do so using keyframing.

You can achieve any type of zoom, crop and almost any other effect, and even effects whose valuses changes with time, using keyframing.

Just select your clip in the timeline and click on properties icon below the source monitor, properties panel will open. In the upper left side of the properties panel button you will see the show keyframes button, click on it and then expand the motion property, then click on toggle animation button for motion,

and then you are ready to add keyframes(add keyframes for SCALE inside Motion effect)

Keyframes denote what will be the value of any effect at a given position in time.

Add different keyfarmes at different positions with different values.

To know how to add keyfarmes, read the following link

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSEFE98869-C3BB-4ba0-84B7-5F751D5EF668. html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crop and Zoom
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I explain how to do this step by step in my free article "Basic Keyframing" at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

Just type "keyframing" in the product search box on the site's home page.

(I also go into detail on all the ways to use keyframing in the program in my books, if you're interested in really learning the program.)

• 3. Re: Crop and Zoom
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As John Nash points out, your Zoom and Pan can be easily done via Keyframing the Fixed * Effects>Motion>Position (Pan/location), and Motion>Scale (Zoom). Be sure to read his graciously furnished link completely, and if you do not understand any terms in it, and cannot find a useful definition of any, drop back with any questions.

As John notes, many/most Effects can be Keyframed to change over time. There ARE some exceptions, but not that many.

* Fixed Effects are those that are automatically applied to all Video Clips (Volume is a Fixed Effect, added to any Audio), and will always be there. Motion, contains Scale and Position, the two that you will use here. One adjusts these most easily and effectively from the Effects Control Panel, which is invoked by hitting Edit Effects in the Effects Tab, with that Clip Selected. Other Effects are first added from the Effects Tab.

Steve's tutorials and articles are great resources, as well, and come highly recommended, along with John's link.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - as Keyframes are so very useful and powerful, and can be used in so many cases, I urge one to learn the concepts. Though time might need to be invested, it will pay great dividends later.

• 4. Crop and Zoom for picture-in-picture
                abuilyas

I would like zoom into the part of a video and crop it so when I re-size it for picture-in-picture, I can see the only cropped area. Is that possible?

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Crop and Zoom for picture-in-picture
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not sure exactly what you need to do, but in general, the answer should be "yes."

Now, before we go into a lot of details, that might not apply, let me see if I can understand exactly what you want to do.

You have a Clip on the Video 1 Track in your Timeline. You want to zoom in on a part of that Clip. Am I correct on that?

Now, you talk about a PiP and also cropping. What do you want to crop?

Can you describe the PiP treatment, that you plan on using? For general PiP treatment, you would place the PiP Clip onto, say Video 2, and then Scale and alter its Position to suit. Is it the PiP Clip, that needs cropping?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more. I bet that the answer will still be "yes."

Hunt