3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 9:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Stopping video clips 'jumping' on timeline

Christina_film

Hi all,

I have just started using Premiere Elements 9 for the first time and am still working out how to use it. I am editing together a music video, beginning with syncing the soundtrack to the full vid of the performance. I now want to edit out certain parts of the full video and replace them with other clips.

My problem is...

... as soon as I split off and delete a clip, all the clips after it 'jump up' the timeline to connect to the clip that was before it and everything gets out of sync with the music!

How to I make the rest of the video clips stay where they are, while I delete and replace clips?

Thank you,

Christina

• 1. Re: Stopping video clips 'jumping' on timeline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I explain in my books, that's the timeline rippling.

To override rippling:

1) When you delete a clip, right-click on it and select Clear rather than Delete. The other clips will stay in place.

2) When you add a clip, hold down the Ctrl key as you add it to the timeline. The other clips will again stay in place.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stopping video clips 'jumping' on timeline
            Christina_film Level 1

Much appreciated - wonderful, clear explanation. I will try it now.

• 3. Re: Stopping video clips 'jumping' on timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Another method, that does not require any Cutting, is to just place your "filler" Clip onto the next Video Track above, say Video Track 2. That Video Track 2 Clip will be seen, instead of the material on Video Track 1. However, there can be some limitations, or extra work, if one is doing Transitions (though not much in the way of limitations, or work), instead of Butt-Cuts.

One can also do an Insert Edit, where the Frames of the new Clip replace the Frames of the original Clip. Say that you have a 03 min. Clip on Video Track 1, Clip A, and want to replace a portion of it with Frames from another Clip, Clip B here. Dbl-click on Clip B in the Project Panel, to open it in the Source Monitor. Set the In & Out Points as needed in Clip B. Hold down the Ctrl key, click and drag Clip B from the Source Monitor and place it in the desired location on Video Track 1, right over Clip A. The Frames will be replaced with those from Clip B. Note: I find it easier to position Clip B, if I set the CTI/Playhead (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Lne), where I want Clip B to start, and make sure that Snap is ON (the S key toggles Snap ON/OFF).

As you will find, there are often several ways to accomplish the same end result. The choice will depend on how one likes to work. PrE makes it easy to do almost anything desired.

This might be a good time, also, to discuss what you have on the Timeline, as there can be some confusion. First, your original AV files and all other Assets are safely sitting on the HDD, where you Imported them from. What you see on the Timeline is really just a proxy for display purposes only. It is NOT the original file. PrE is extracting instructions from what you see on the Timeline via the proxies. Nothing is being done to the original material. PrE is writing those instructions to the PREL (Project) file in the form of XML code. Those instructions will only be used, when one does an Export/Share. You see the results of those instructions with the proxy files, but nothing has really been done yet - besides writing the XML. Then, when you do the Export/Share, PrE reads those instructions. Say your original AV file, Clip A, is 05 mins. You then Trim it down to 03 mins., starting from 00;00;00;00 (the very beginning TimeCode, displayed in Hrs.;Mins;Secs;Frames), and ending on 00;03;00;00. Now, you place a second AV file, via the Insert Edit above, at 00;01;00;00, and its Duration is 01 min., so that ends at 00;02;00;00 on the Timeline. When you do the Export/Share, PrE goes to the original AV file, Clip A and reads the data from 00;00;00;00 until 00;01;00;00, then it jumps to the original of Clip B, and reads the data from it, then goes back to the original of Clip A, and reads the rest of the data from that point. It continues to do this for all of your Clips, until it has gathered all the data to work with. It has use the Trim instructions to know what data to gather. It then reads the instructions for what you want done with that data, say change the Color of some parts, add Transitions, etc. When it finally has all the necessary data, it processes that through the settings chosen in the Export/Share settings. Whew! Lot of work, but at no time was your original material touched, only read from.

Often confusion comes in, where a user will Save the Project, and then discover that it will not "play." All they Saved was an XML database of instructions, the PREL file. It contains no media, but only instructions in XML. It can only be used by PrE, and there is nothing to play (other than the proxies on the Timeline), UNTIL one does an Export/Share.

That is a bit Off-Topic to your question, but is the background on what you are actually doing on the Timeline. It also points up why you can employ several methods to accomplish the same basic visual. Getting a grasp on what the NLE (Non Linear Editor) program is doing can be very useful, and as PrE is a non-destructive NLE, reassuring too.

Good luck,

Hunt