6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2011 12:59 PM by Harm Millaard

Is this a good computer for PP

roodolf2075

Some of you might remember me complaining that Premiere doesn't have a Ram preview and that my previews are always jerky. I didn't have the right computer so that stopped me from learning PP any further. I just ordered a new computer (should've check with you guys before I bought it), and here are the specs:

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
      • • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-960 quad-core  [3.2GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
      • • 12GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
      • • 2TB RAID 0 (2 x 1TB SATA HDDs) - performance
      • • 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460 [2 DVI, mini-HDMI. VGA adapter]

Is that a good set up for Premiere? Will I be able to benefit from the glorious Mercury Playback Engine? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is this a good computer for PP
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's a good machine.  The 460 can be made to work with hardware acceleration.  You'll need to modify a text file, but it's pretty easy.  Search the web for "Premiere GPU hack".

If it we're me, I'd break out the RAID 0 into separate 1TB drives and add at least one more.  1TB is wasted space for a System drive, so a third, smaller drive for Windows and Programs (C:) would be a good idea.  Use the two 1TB drives for Projects/Scratch (D:) and Media (E:).

This will mean reinstalling Windows, but that may not be a bad idea.  Most pre-built computer come with a lot of junk on them that you're better off without.  A clean install would not be a bad thing before installing the Adobe suite.

• 2. Re: Is this a good computer for PP
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

roodolf2075 wrote:

• • 12GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]

Some thing is wrong here either you have 3 DIMMs or you meant 4 GB DIMMs.

And, yes, you need at least one more smaller drive for the OS/Appkications

• 3. Re: Is this a good computer for PP
              roodolf2075 Level 1

What happens if I don't have another drive? Why is that important? I only have 350gb of space on my laptop and that's enough room for for applications and a lot of videos. So I would assume 2tb would be fine? Big on filmmaking, but not computers so that's why I'm confused. If you guys are talking about external hard drives, then ya I already have some external hard drives that I'll be using.

If not, please clarify why I need the other hard drives cause I'm not following. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Is this a good computer for PP
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>please clarify why I need the other hard drives

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                3 - 1T WD all video files... input & write files
                Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
                http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US
                Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three
                Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for video editing
                Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers
                http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

• 5. Re: Is this a good computer for PP
                  RjL190365 Level 4

As configured, a system with those two 1TB hard drives in a RAID 0 that's used for absolutely everything - OS, programs, pagefile, media, projects, previews, media cache, renders and output - would actually perform much slower than if that same system had only a single hard drive. RAID 0 system drives perform well with large files but actually perform extremely poorly with small file sizes. And a system equipped with a single hard drive or a single RAID 0 OS drive array with no other drive volumes installed does not meet Adobe's stated minimum requirements.