2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2011 12:04 AM by rombooth1

how to convert flex 3.5 component to flex 4.5 and use Flash Catalyst to redesign it

rombooth1 Level 1

Hi

I have a solution created in Flex 3.5 that I need to upgrade to Flex 4.5 to use its advanced skinning capabilities. I start with one custom flex 3.5 component - a mx panel and upgrade each element from Helo to Spark. This was straight forward.

I would be able now to create skins for each element, but I perceive this not as the best way. I would like to redesign the component inside Flash Catalist and enrich it with art work.

Is there any proposed workflow for this scenario?

Many thanks,

Marc

• 1. Re: how to convert flex 3.5 component to flex 4.5 and use Flash Catalyst to redesign it
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

I would either translate or rebuild the component in Flash Builder first within a Flash Catalyst compatible project. From there You should be able to open that in Flash Catalyst 5.5 and being the skinning process. Note: not all components are skinnable by Flash Catalyst, even if they are Spark based.

Chris

• 2. Re: how to convert flex 3.5 component to flex 4.5 and use Flash Catalyst to redesign it
            rombooth1 Level 1

Hi Chris

many thanks. Yes like the spark datagrid, that is not available in Cataliyst right now - as I read will it probably be added in a later release of Catalyst. In the application there are about 20 screens to redesign (many small popup screens, a few main screens). I was thinking of adding all to a fxpl library: create 5 skinnablecomponents - each main screen with its popups. And later on in Flash Builder use a skinnablecomponent and add the skinclass.

Many of application screen use a datagrid. I realize that this work can only be done now in Flash Builder. I would like to use some kind of placeholder for the datagrid and add it later, after I designed the component and add its skin when the redesigned component is in flashbuilder.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks again,

Marc