9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 2:32 PM by the_wine_snob

JVC TOD files

lonebrat Level 1

Has there been any progress with Premiere reading TOD files? Can I directly edit files from my JVC using Premiere CS5.5 or do I still need to convert to a different format?

• 1. Re: JVC TOD files
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you upload a file we could test it for you.

Send a file with e.g. YouSendIt to yourself and post the download link here on the forum.

• 2. Re: JVC TOD files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps NOT directly applicable to PrPro CS5.5, but this ARTICLE and its links might be helpful. See especially the link to comments directly from JVC (Chris), as there could be something useful in those. Or maybe not?

Good luck, and I would take Ann up on her offer, as others might be able gain useful insights, specific to the files and to CS5.5.

Hunt

• 3. Re: JVC TOD files
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Be careful with posting articles, if you are not sure or did not tested it yourself dont post it.

The link provided as Colin-B already stated is for a totally different format.

• 4. Re: JVC TOD files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well Ann, considering that the reply in that article was from JVC themselves, I think that your fears are unfounded, and not really appreciated. I also pointed out that many of the comments reflect on other Adobe NLE's, but might well contain useful information that will translate directly to PrPro CS5.5. If you remember, the first article link covers conversion of the files. That can apply directly to CS5.5, though might not be the only solution. If you look, that link to the conversion scheme was actually posted by you. Did you try that on TOD & MOD files, or did you take another's recommendation? Did the conversion not work for you, but you posted it anyway?

If conversion is a viable workflow (albeit perhaps not the only one), I fail to see how that could be bad, regardless of the NLE program, or version used. Can you clear that up for me?

I have used several conversion programs to get odd files into PrPro, but as I have never worked personally with TOD files, I have refrained from any mention of those programs, per your request to John T. to ONLY post conversion programs, that one has used with specific media. My programs might work perfectly, or not at all. As I do not shoot TOD material (now phased out by JVC), and will likely never encounter them, I will not be testing with my chosen conversion programs.

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - as most of the articles that I have written revolve around video-editng, you might be surprised at how well they translate to helping Photoshop users solve their issues, especially with memory management, and conflicts with other programs. Imagine, a PrPro-centric article helping a PS user! Same thing for Harm Millaard's video HDD management articles. PS users really can benefit from those too. Not only are we talking versional differences, but program differences too.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: JVC TOD files
                  lonebrat Level 1

Thank everyone for their help. I did find a post on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErAA0WFTlDY that shows a set-up with Windows 7, Adobe CS5, and JVC Everio. (my set up exactly). According to "Epic", if you rename the .TOD file to a .m2ts extension, Premeiere reads it just fine. I am waiting to take possesion of my JVC camcorder (ebay), but this looks like it could work!

• 6. Re: JVC TOD files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When you are able to test, please update this thread, and I will add your results to the MOD & TOD Files article, as it could well help others.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: JVC TOD files
                      lonebrat Level 1

Will do. Thank you.

• 8. Re: JVC TOD files
                        lonebrat Level 1

Hi Bill - I got my JVC camcorder and took a quick video to test. I downloaded the TOD file, which Premiere doesn't recognize at all. I changed the extention to .m2ts and voila! It worked like a charm. Premiere recognized it, imported it and played it perfectly. (note, don't worry about the MOD files, you just need the TOD files.) For the record, I am using Premiere CS5.5 on a Windows 7 machine. Let me know if you need anything else.

• 9. Re: JVC TOD files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting, as it will likely help others.

Good luck,

Hunt