7 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2011 3:55 PM by ChasLaird

How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?

Rodger Hudson Klein

I was reading in one of the Photoshop magazines that there was a way to selectively preview attributes in Camera Raw but I can't remember how to do it.

To be more specific: When you are working in one of the develop tabs ( any of the upper left special tabs) in camera raw and toggle the preview button it only shows you the preview for that specific tab (compared to the original raw file). I want to know how I can preview the original image compared to ALL of the attributes I've changed at once OR only preview the one specific attribute that I've changes compared to the original raw file.

Does anyone know how to do this? Please advise.

Regards,

Rod Klein

www.rhkuw.com

• 1. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Terminology-wise, your description of what you want seems to be off a little, since there's not really an "original raw file" per se.

There are the settings you started with, i.e., the Camera Raw Defaults (if the raw file has not been opened before) - or - the stored Image Settings for this raw file (if you opened it before).  I'm assuming what you're asking for is a way to see the current entire batch of settings, vs. what you started with.

When you make control changes, the set of parameters is now considered Custom Settings.

The way that comes to mind to compare is to click the fly-out menu icon and choose Image Settings (i.e., the settings you started with), or Custom Settings (i.e., your current changes since starting with the image this session).

Settings.jpg

-Noel

P.S., This key summary is often helpful:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS982EFD65-8549-4c58-AD7D-0C2C2C39DAF1a.htm l

Unfortunately, I know of no way to assign keys to menu items in Camera Raw.  That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I don't know of a way.

• 2. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?
            Rodger Hudson Klein Level 1

Ok I think we have a basic semantic problem. So let's not get hung up in the proper nomenclature.

The basic questions is: When I select the PREVIEW TOGGLE... I am able to see the changes between the modifications that I have done in camera raw vs the original raw file whether it has xmp data or not. It is just a preview of what I have done compared to what was modified before.

The limitation in the preview function is that it only shows the preview of the change in a SPECIFIC TAB, such as exposure, contrast, brightness, etc. When you move to the, say, HSL tab, the preview toggle only shows what has been modified in that specific tab. And if you are making adjustments in the Adjustment Brush tab. you only preview those changes.

I have read somewhere that there is a way to preview all of the modifications together as compared to the current status of the raw file given its xmp data. What I read was that there was a key short cut which, when pressed with the Preview toggle would allow you to see ALL OF THE CHANGES DONE IN CAMERA RAW VS the raw file that that was originally opened.

This may have changed in the current version of CR but I know that I have read somewhere how to do this.

Best,

Rod Klein

Senior Writer

EZ Dive Magazine

RHK UW Productions &Design

310 404 4159

• 3. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?

Ok I think we have a basic semantic problem. So let's not get hung up in the proper nomenclature.

The basic questions is: When I select the PREVIEW TOGGLE... I am able to see the changes between the modifications that I have done in camera raw vs the original raw file whether it has xmp data or not. It is just a preview of what I have done compared to what was modified before.
              The limitation in the preview function is that it only shows the preview of the change in a SPECIFIC TAB, such as exposure, contrast, brightness, etc. When you move to the, say, HSL tab, the preview toggle only shows what has been modified in that specific tab. And if you are making adjustments in the Adjustment Brush tab. you only preview those changes.
              I have read somewhere that there is a way to preview all of the modifications together as compared to the current status of the raw file given its xmp data. What I read was that there was a key short cut which, when pressed with the Preview toggle would allow you to see ALL OF THE CHANGES DONE IN CAMERA RAW VS the raw file that that was originally opened.
              This may have changed in the current version of CR but I know that I have read somewhere how to do this.
              sceensot.jpg

• 4. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?
                Bo LeBeau Level 4

The two rightmost tabs - Presets and Snapshots.

Click on either of these tabs and you can preview ALL the changes you made in Camera Raw by clicking the Preview box.

To make it even easier, just type the letter "P" on your keyboard instead of clicking the Preview box.

You can switch back and forth between your original image and the image with all your changes.

• 5. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Rodger Hudson Klein wrote:

Well, you should actually try to use the correct terms or else you'll be flailing about without understanding...

Fact is, you've gotten two good answers. The Preview button was intentionally designed to preview only the current adjustment panel. So, it's working as designed. If you want to see what the image looked like at "Default" (before any adjustments) Noel correctly tells you to go to the main ACR flyout menu and to select "Camera Raw Default" which will change the parameters to that of your current default. From there you can toggle undo/redo or reselect the "Image Settings" which will preview all of the current parameters.

The other way of doing this is to use the Snapshots panel as indicated by Bo. There you can create a snapshot of the current state of the adjustments. You can make multiple snapshots for multiple adjustments including crops. Very powerful and very useful. I suggest you learn how to use snapshots...

• 6. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?

Thanks guys. all good answers. It was the "snapshot" tip that I read about in one of the Photoshop magazines recently, probably Photoshop User.

Thanks for taking the time to write

• 7. Re: How To Selectively Preview In Camera Raw?
                      ChasLaird Level 1

Although what Jeff said is correct and Snapshots are a powerful tool, I think what Bo was trying to point out is the following.  If you select the Preset tab or the Snapshot tab, checking and unchecking the Preview Box (or typing the letter P) will toggle on and off all of the changes for all of the tabs for your current session.  You don’t have to create any Snapshots for this to work for the current session, i.e., until you close the file and save the changes made in Camera Raw.  The additional power of Snapshots is that previous states can be stored permanently and still be retrieved when you open the file at a later time.

Chuck