What are your Sequence settings, and then the Export settings?
What are the full details of the Uncompressed output from Autodesk? I am surprised that an Uncompressed (assume .AVI, but please correct me, if that part is wrong) AVI will not Import and play in PrPro, without having to compress it with MP4. Maybe something in those specs. that others will detect and be able to help you skip any conversion/compression?
Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the warm welcome
Yes, the video from autodesk is uncompressed avi. These files are impossible to import in Premiere, and i cant open them in either VLC or WMPlayer.
After a conversion with FreeMake VideoConverter they are possible to import, and they look very good in VLC.
My Sequence settings are:
Editing mode: HDV 720p
Timebase: 29.97 frames/second
Frame size: 1280*720
Pixel Aspect ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)
Fields: No fields (progressive scan)
Display format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode
Sample Rate 48000Hz
Display format: Audio samples
Preview File format: I-Frame Only MPEG
Codec: MPEG I-frame
Maximum bit depth and Maximum render quality is checked.
I have tried with a variety of export settings, but my current ones are:
Video Codec: H.264
1280*720, 29,97 fps, Progressive, Quality 100, 48000Hz, Stereo, H.264
Aspect: Square Pixels
Render at maximum depth
Use maximum render quality.
One thing I find quite strange is that i have to short clips at the beginning, which both seem fine.
Run the Uncompressed AVI through Gspot, and post the screenshot of the results. Such a file should work fine in PP as well as the media players. That it doesn't is fishy.
The thing is, i have several clips from autodesk inventor. The shorter ones (shorter than 30s) i can view directly, but those any longer than that has to be converted.
Heres a screen of the gspot analysis of a clip that cant be opened directly:
This is the full content of the container section:
Correction: it's supposed to say two short clips in my previous post, not "to"
That corrupt header worries me.
Also, the AVI 1.0 worries me. AVI 2.0 (OpenDML) is the norm these days. This also lines up with your data about duration.
OK, but is this a problem when the video converter can convert the uncompressed video files, and these are the ones i am importing in to PP?
The thing that confuses me is that the converted files look very good, but when I edit these in PP and export them, they look bad.
From Inventor I get an uncompressed video
I use autodesk maya ... and there are a ton of export possibilities with that animation...one of which is exporting TIF images ( each frame is a TIF )...which is probably the largest file byte wise...( not compressed, but simply each frame is drawn as a TIF )...
When importing to premiere ( I use CS3 so I lay my head on the chopping block here ) I import the TIF stuff , you know, as a numbered thingamajig.... sometimes I've had to "rename" the output files from maya so premiere was happy importing them ( basically dealing with illegal characters in filenames ).. used a program called " renamer" or something to do that...
I had way better results doing the import that way than using the presets etc for ntsc, pal, hd , etc...
I edit these in PP
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that. The versions you're using are heavily compressed, and will be degraded quality-wise compared to the original. When you export them, they get compressed and degraded again. It's better to solve the real issue and get the Uncompressed media working.
Though the programs are different, Maya vs Inventor, what are all the high-quality options that you have available?
The TIFF, or another option, might help the OP get material that WILL Import directly into PrPro and edit smoothly.
Do not know if my suppliers were using an AutoDesk program, but I always got MOV Animation CODEC files, and those played nicely with my PC PrPro. Now, those folk were all on Mac, so the MOV was the natural container. With the Animation CODEC, things still worked beautifully.
Just thinking here, as I agree with Jim, that corrupt header is probably the culprit, or one of them.
I did a test, and put a clip through camtasia studio, and the quality after exporting it is very good. The limited editing options in this program doesnt make me want to go down this path though.
well...with maya exporting tiffs...you end up importing as numbered thing...like a bunch of still images... is simple..
use your own project settings ( custom) for frame rate etc but match what animation was on that timeline in animation in maya...
sorry, but I deleted all my samples of imported maya stuff and dont know if that would help anyway..
otherwise youre right..youre stuck with the export settings for video and also the 2 different ways of interpreting the lighting and physical stuff ( vectors etc ) and polygon vs blah blah blah...I really dont wanna go into that program now to deal with this and then have someone tell me " you have the wrong version of premere pro you idiot " type stuff...cause numbered stills aren't handled the same way anymore...
ps.. the "scary space snake " was a sample of numbered tiffs from maya into cs3 and added soundtrack..if that helps
OK, here's the status, guys.
With a combination of flicker removal and a vertical blur filter i managed to get an acceptable result.
Our dedline is on the 1. of June, so I dont have time to mess around with this any much longer.
Thank you very much for your help
Wow, just under the wire. Glad that you got an acceptable result, and thanks for reporting what helped the footage for you.