13 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 2:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5

daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

Hi!
      As a part of my bachelor thesis in industrial engineering, I am making an animation that shows how different types of water turbines work.

The animation it self,  I've created in a program called Autodesk Inventor. From Inventor I get an uncompressed video. This video is usually not possible to open directly, but when I convert this with FreeMake video converter, it works

Conversion in FreeMake:
      RAWVIDEO
      1280 * 720
      16:9
      663,554 Kbps
      30 fps

To:
      . Avi, mpeg4
      1280 * 720
      16:9
      3283Kbps
      30fps

The video looks great now, but now when i have finished editing the film in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and exported it, the lines are very blurred and bad. I've attached a picture showing what I mean. I have tried many different settings in Premiere, but i cannot get it any better.

The picture on the left is after exporting, the image on the right is after converting it in FreeMake Video Converter.

hjelp.jpg

Have tried with the flicker removal, but with poor results.
      Does anyone have any tips on what I can do?

• 1. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are your Sequence settings, and then the Export settings?

What are the full details of the Uncompressed output from Autodesk? I am surprised that an Uncompressed (assume .AVI, but please correct me, if that part is wrong) AVI will not Import and play in PrPro, without having to compress it with MP4. Maybe something in those specs. that others will detect and be able to help you skip any conversion/compression?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
            daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

Thank you for the warm welcome

Yes, the video from autodesk is uncompressed avi. These files are impossible to import in Premiere, and i cant open them in either VLC or WMPlayer.

After a conversion with FreeMake VideoConverter they are possible to import, and they look very good in VLC.

My Sequence settings are:

Editing mode: HDV 720p

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Video:

Frame size: 1280*720

Pixel Aspect ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields: No fields (progressive scan)

Display format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Audio:

Sample Rate 48000Hz

Display format: Audio samples

Video Previews

Preview File format: I-Frame Only MPEG

Codec: MPEG I-frame

With: 1280

Height: 720

Maximum bit depth and Maximum render quality is checked.

I have tried with a variety of export settings, but my current ones are:

Output:

Format: Quicktime
            Video Codec: H.264

1280*720, 29,97 fps, Progressive, Quality 100, 48000Hz, Stereo, H.264

Aspect: Square Pixels
            Render at maximum depth
            Depth: 24bit
            Use maximum render quality.

One thing I find quite strange is that i have to short clips at the beginning, which both seem fine.

• 3. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Run the Uncompressed AVI through Gspot, and post the screenshot of the results.  Such a file should work fine in PP as well as the media players.  That it doesn't is fishy.

• 4. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

The thing is, i have several clips from autodesk inventor. The shorter ones (shorter than 30s) i can view directly, but those any longer than that has to be converted.

Heres a screen of the gspot analysis of a clip that cant be opened directly:

gspot.PNG

This is the full content of the container section:

container.PNG

Correction: it's supposed to say two short clips in my previous post, not "to"

• 5. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

That corrupt header worries me.

Also, the AVI 1.0 worries me.  AVI 2.0 (OpenDML) is the norm these days.  This also lines up with your data about duration.

• 6. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                    daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

OK, but is this a problem when the video converter can convert the uncompressed video files, and these are the ones i am importing in to PP?

The thing that confuses me is that the converted files look very good, but when I edit these in PP and export them, they look bad.

• 7. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                      Level 4

==========

From Inventor I get an uncompressed video

===========

I use autodesk maya ... and there are a ton of export possibilities with that animation...one of which is exporting TIF images ( each frame is a TIF )...which is probably the largest file byte wise...( not compressed, but simply each frame is drawn as a TIF )...

When importing to premiere ( I use CS3 so I lay my head on the chopping block here ) I import the TIF stuff , you know, as a numbered thingamajig.... sometimes I've had to "rename" the output files from maya so premiere was happy importing them ( basically dealing with illegal characters in filenames ).. used a program called " renamer" or something to do that...

I had way better results doing the import that way than using the presets etc for ntsc, pal, hd , etc...

• 8. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I edit these in PP

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that.  The versions you're using are heavily compressed, and will be degraded quality-wise compared to the original.  When you export them, they get compressed and degraded again.  It's better to solve the real issue and get the Uncompressed media working.

• 9. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Though the programs are different, Maya vs Inventor, what are all the high-quality options that you have available?

The TIFF, or another option, might help the OP get material that WILL Import directly into PrPro and edit smoothly.

Do not know if my suppliers were using an AutoDesk program, but I always got MOV Animation CODEC files, and those played nicely with my PC PrPro. Now, those folk were all on Mac, so the MOV was the natural container. With the Animation CODEC, things still worked beautifully.

Just thinking here, as I agree with Jim, that corrupt header is probably the culprit, or one of them.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                            daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

I see.

I did a test, and put a clip through camtasia studio, and the quality after exporting it is very good. The limited editing options in this program doesnt make me want to go down this path though.

• 11. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                              Level 4

well...with maya exporting tiffs...you end up importing as numbered thing...like a bunch of still images... is simple..

use your own project settings ( custom) for frame rate etc but match what animation was on that timeline in animation in maya...

sorry, but I deleted all my samples of imported maya stuff and dont know if that would help anyway..

otherwise youre right..youre stuck with the export settings for video and also the 2 different ways of interpreting the lighting and physical stuff ( vectors etc ) and polygon vs blah blah blah...I really dont wanna go into that program now to deal with this and then have someone tell me " you have the wrong version of premere pro you idiot "  type stuff...cause numbered stills aren't handled the same way anymore...

whatever...

ps.. the "scary space snake " was a sample of numbered tiffs from maya into cs3 and added soundtrack..if that helps

• 12. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                                daniel.bjoerkman Level 1

OK, here's the status, guys.

With a combination of flicker removal and a vertical blur filter i managed to get an acceptable result.

Our dedline is on the 1. of June, so I dont have time to mess around with this any much longer.

Thank you very much for your help

• 13. Re: Poor quality on movie after exporting it from Premiere Pro CS5.5
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, just under the wire. Glad that you got an acceptable result, and thanks for reporting what helped the footage for you.

Good luck,

Hunt