5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2011 2:10 PM by Jeff Bellune

how  can i make a subclip using in and out points

steven rosen

hi

I place in and out point on a portion of a clip.   it made subclip of the entire clip I only wants the in and out points

Steven

• 1. Re: how  can i make a subclip using in and out points
          Level 4

you have to put on timeline and cut it....sorry...royal pain in butt.. what I did in past was make different sequences to keep track of that stuff...gets kinda complicated but its basically a roughcut with a lot of video layers and then copy paste to new sequence to isolate the cuts to the next "step"

• 2. Re: how  can i make a subclip using in and out points
            shooternz Level 6

Unless something radical has chnanged Rod...thats not the way it used to work at all.

You could absolutely create sub clips from In and Out points.

I suggest the OP checks the pdf manual or the Help file.

• 3. Re: how  can i make a subclip using in and out points
              Level 4

IIRC I could drag in out from source to project panel, create subclip, but then drag that to timeline and be able to "expand" that subclip...

If going from in out from source to timeline direct ( no subclip name made in project panel ) it was same thing ...but without the cool ability to "name" the "subclip"...

anyway, for me at least....puttting stuff on timeline and then just cutting the stuff exactly was the only way for me to have no extra frames or whatever in that portion of footage... and then I had to ( of course ) organize that stuff on the timelines ( hence the new sequences )

• 4. Re: how  can i make a subclip using in and out points
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

In CS5 and CS5.5, you make a subclip that is restricted to the in/out points that were set in the Source Monitor by Ctrl+Drag the Source Monitor image to the Project panel.

The only way to get back any extra frames from the Master Clip is to right-click the clip in the Project panel and choose Edit Subclip (or its equivalent operation, Clip | Edit Subclip from the menu bar).

In CS5 and CS5.5, you can do exactly the same thing from the Timeline panel (good stuff!).  Trim a clip in the timeline and then Ctrl+Drag it to the Project panel.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: how  can i make a subclip using in and out points
                  Level 4

============

In CS5 and CS5.5, you can do exactly the same thing from the Timeline  panel (good stuff!).  Trim a clip in the timeline and then Ctrl+Drag it  to the Project panel.

============

how cool is THAT ! .. thanks !

saves tons of work organizing stuff from scripted and slated material...where you never want to see what was just before the slate and what is going on after the shot is "over"....after end slate or just "cut" ...

In other words, it makes it easier to just cut the junk out and organize shots and if you make a mistake on timeline ( dragging something from here to there ) you cant "accidentally" screw up the whole timeline with those extra frames...