1 Reply Latest reply on May 30, 2011 7:51 AM by Bill Gehrke

Information about GPUs supported by Premiere Pro CS5.5

I'm going to buy a new nVidia video card and, because of I'm very passionate of video editing, I want finally have one supported by Premiere Pro CS5.5. I've read something about that on the Adobe site, and I've found a list of supported GPUs:

• GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
      • GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
      • GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000 (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000D (Windows)
      • Quadro 2000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 3000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • Quadro 4000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 5000 (Windows)
      • Quadro 5000M (Windows)
      • Quadro 5010M (Windows)
      • Quadro 6000 (Windows)
      • Quadro CX (Windows)

Now I'm asking, if I bought a GTX 550, which is not in the list, would it be supported? I think so becase, however, it should be better than, for example, a GTX 470, instead present in the list. But I have this doubt... Can you clarify my ideas?

• 1. Re: Information about GPUs supported by Premiere Pro CS5.5
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the forums!

It depends on what you mean by supported.  If you mean can you use either of them then the answer is yes. The supported list is those cards specifically have been tested by Adobe and are listed in the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file  If you have another card you may have to add it to that file.  If you take a look at the Premiere Pro BecnMark (PPBM5) you will see that many other cards are being used by people that have submitted their results,

The more important factors that you should consider is the number of CUDA cores and how much power your system can supply to this upgrade that you intend to do.  The 470 has 448 CUDA cores and requires 215 watts.  The 550 is of course a slightly new design but it is at the low end of the CUDA cores with only 192 cores but it only draws 116 watts.  Either could require you to upgrade your power supply depending on how much spare power is available in your power supply.

Here are some boards that I personally tested about a month ago (prices may have changed) showing PPBM5 (MPEG2-DVD, H.264 and Rendering the Timeline) encoding times versus board type.