9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 9:28 AM by charlie@carehart.org

Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search

Adam Cameron. Level 5

G'day

Is there any way to disable the "ColdFusion Search" feature that seems to have replace Eclipse's default Find/Replace, and get the Eclipse default back again?

I had a superficial look around the preferences, but didn't spot anything.

Cheers.

--

Adam

• 1. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
          cfjedimaster Level 3

Click Search/Search,

Customize

Then ... well shoot. You can turn off everything else, but not the CF search.

Sorry.

• 2. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
            Adam Cameron. Level 5

*Thanks*, Ray.  What would I do without you? I think you owe me a beer for that one. ;-)

Um, it probably doesn't matter actually.  I was looking at the ColdFusion Find UI and going "where's the 'Replace/Find' button", but it seems that the CF Find does the same thing with just the "Replace" option anyhow.

Cheers.

--

Adam

• 3. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
              cfjedimaster Level 3

I can say it is worthwhile to turn off the Aptana search - which I

believe is borked. ("Believe" - not sure.)

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                Adam Cameron. Level 5

[second attempt posting this... although I don't know why I bother, it's not like it's particualrly profound]

Yeah, have def disabled that.  It's rubbish.  Dunno why they ship it with CFB (even given CFB relies on the Aptana plug-in).

--

Adam

• 5. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                  charlie@carehart.org Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adam, it may rubbish for you, but many people (myself included) are satisfied with it, and even appreciate sometimes the features that it adds.

I won’t propose that we start another on its pros and cons. I'm just saying your statement was awfully firm, as if everyone would agree.

/charlie

• 6. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                    Adam Cameron. Level 5

Charlie, you have been on the internet for long enough that anything anyone says has an implicit "IMO" applied to it.  Don't be obtuse (because it's most unlike you).

--

Adam

• 7. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                      Big Mad Kev Level 1

I have to say I was under the impression that the Aptana Search was to be

disabled before it shipped.

The reason most people find it broken is the way it displays search results,

and the fact you can't step through them like you can with the Eclipse

version. I think the reason being, that this is an older version of Aptana

that is now behind the core Eclipse Find / Replace.

Though the CF Search has everything in one place, and is there mainly for

the CF Studio / Homesite + converts.

That's my Opinion too.

• 8. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                        cfjedimaster Level 3

Ditto Big Mad. Maybe Charlie though Adam was talking about CF Search

(he was at first) and not Aptana (which we switched to at the end).

• 9. Re: Revert to Eclipse's default in-file search
                          charlie@carehart.org Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I did assume he was talking about the CF search, and I don't think I was being obtuse. But I'm not looking to start a fight. Sorry if I said something you felt didn't need to be said, Adam.

To add something more useful to the conversation, I did (before writing that) spend quite a bit of time trying to forcefully change the shortcut so that it would work as someone like Adam would prefer. Oddly, though I could assign ctrl-f to the standard "find and replace", and even remove ctrl-f from the "coldfusion search" (in the Eclipse prefs>general>keys dialog), it would still always respond with the cfsearch on a ctrl-f. Very odd. I even restarted Eclipse. (To see the coldfusion search option in the list of keys, you need to use the "filter" button in the lower right, and de-select "filter uncategorized commands". Even then, it shows up out of alpha order, with "ColdFusion Search" appearing before "Collapse" in the list of keys.)

Also, I will note that here is an option to change schemes (in the eclipse prefs>general>keys page) and the default one is cfscheme. I tried changing it to "default", which I noted did then swap the key assignments for the two kinds of find, and yet after doing that, it would STILL bring up the CF search dialog. This thing's like the Terminator--it absolutely will not stop.

Even more curious, if I close and reopen CFB (in case that's what's needed to make the change stick), I find that CFB has reset the default scheme back to CFSCHEME.

So, has anyone else been able to revert the ctrl-f to the standard eclipse find?

/charlie