28 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2011 4:38 PM by luvsfotos

How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

luvsfotos

Videos from my Canon 7d camera and from my Canon ADCHD camcorder (both SD cards) are .MOD files. I open Premiere Elements 9 and click GET MEDIA and it won't recognize the files. It says it cannot open the videos because:

"your system does not have the required compression/decompression codec installed."

When I bought this software a service rep assured me that it would take .MOD files. Why weren't these codecs installed with the program? How can I get these videos to work with Premiere Elements 9?

• 1. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you certain that your Canon is outputting MOD files? The Canon DSLR's normally record to MOV wrappers w/ H.264 CODEC. MOD has been the domain of JVC cameras, though others could well be using it.

Now, a few more questions:

• Did you convert the files in any way?
          • Do you have Apple's QT Player installed? If so, what version? For H.264 material, you need QT Player (and its CODEC's), or a viable substitute. QT Player is the easiest approach, and for much playback, is required - though not for ALL playback.
          • Did you set a DSLR Preset at New Project in PrE 9?
          • If not, which Preset did you choose? The Preset should match one's Source Files 100%.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, as required by the program?

And, when you started your project, did you select the project settings for a DSLR camera that matched the specs of your video? You need to do this in order for the program to activate the necessary components for working with this video.

• 3. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
              i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Do you have PRE trial version installed ? Are you able to import any other MPEG files? PRE needs to activate certain components for MOD files and this is not supported in the trial version.

• 4. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                luvsfotos Level 1

I hope I'm answering Hunt. I clicked on REPLY. I did set up my DSLR camera in PE9 as a flash device because it uses an SD card. I did not convert the files. I don't have Apple's QT player installed. Should I (and can I) download it from Apple's website?? I will check whether my Quiktime software is up to date. Hunt, I don't know what H.264 is. Is this the codec I'm missing? If so, where do I get it? Well, I fell pretty humble. Obviously I don't know much about this.

• 5. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                  luvsfotos Level 1

I don't have a trial version of PE9.

I haven't tried importing any other MPEG files. The only video files I have are

.MOD  from my canon DSLR camera and camcorder (flash type).

I'm wondering if I need software that would convert .MOD to whatever PE9 would accept. ?MPEG

• 6. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                    luvsfotos Level 1

Well, I just checked my DSLR CANON 7d user manual and the files are .MOV! I thought they were .MOD. However, if PE9 still won't accept the files, i.e. .MOV. There is that message that I don't have the needed codec.

• 7. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Especially with MOV, and MP4, Apple's QT Player will be required.

It also installs many CODEC's, necessary to work with a lot of files, some of which can be MOV, and most (if not all) of which can be MP4. H.264 is a CODEC, and is in very broad use. It can be seen in most MP4's, some MOV's, a few AVI's, and AVCHD is a sub-set of H.264.

I've done two articles, that might be useful. First ARTICLE talks about the file format as a "wrapper," and though titled for AVI, one could juxtapose nearly any AV file format for AVI. The second ARTICLE is an overview of CODEC's, in very broad and general terms.

Hope that this helps, and as most people view this forum in Flat view, the Reply To aspect only is shown in the Reply's header info, and is most often overlooked. Some will view the forum in Threaded view, and there a Reply To will indent below the Reply, to which you posted. Flat is much, much more common, as it shows the later posts at the bottom of the page, and also will give one the Reply #, as a reference.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                        luvsfotos Level 1

I checked my manual which says the files from my Canon 7d DSLR are .MOV files.

• 9. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That MOV format, is what I was anticipating from the Canon.

In the DSLR Presets, there should be one for the Canon DSLR's, and that is the one that I would choose.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                            luvsfotos Level 1

I am answering all those who replied to my question that I erred and the Canon 7d DSLR has .MOV files. But

this is what PE9  referred to when it said it couldn't open the ( .MOV) files without the correct codec.

• 11. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                              luvsfotos Level 1

You were right, they're .MOV files.

• 12. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

That is exactly what I anticipated, and the "MOD" extension had be puzzled.

Did you find the Canon DSLR Preset in New Project? That would be my choice, though you might have various shooting Modes, so you might have some other choices. My wife shoots a Canon, but not for any motion, so I do not know all the possibilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

For importing . MOV files in PRE you should have the latest QuickTIme player installed on your system. You can download it for free from : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Follow these steps:

1. Ensure that Premiere Elements is closed
                                  2. Download and install QuickTime from : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
                                  3. Restart your system
                                  4. Start  Premiere Elements
                                  5. Import your .MOV files and it should mow be successful.

Let us know if it works or not.

• 14. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                    luvsfotos Level 1

First, I apologize - I meant .MOV files, not .MOD files. I did download the Quick Time update. Then other problems arose:

Per an e-mail from a forum member, I downloaded an update of QuickTime, which should let me open .MOV files.

Inserted an SD memory card from my Canon camcorder. I selected FLASH, ADCHD...  Then GET MEDIA.

Thumbnails appeared labeled MOV001.MOD and ascending numerical order. Then Premiere stopped working and a message appeared: 

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1

So I must have picked the wrong device category?

I couldn't close the error message or the software so used the Task Manager to get out of it.

After a couple more tries I gave up.

Then I tried my DSLR Canon 7d CF memory card. Selected NEW FILE. Clicked on "edit settings" and chose DSLR > GET MEDIA. The downloader began. Up came another message.

Download failed because the files are TOO LARGE.

These are CR2 (RAW) PHOTOS. Do I have to change the format to .jpg or .psd in Photoshop Elements first?

Any suggestions?

• 15. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                      luvsfotos Level 1

Hi, Jeannie - your suggestion to update QuikTime was very helpful and I did that today. But I've posted a new description of other problems so not sure if the upgrade helped or not. I think it did.

• 16. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                        luvsfotos Level 1

Bill, I didn't convert the photos. I did update QuikTime today. Is this the same as what you called QT Player?? If not, how would I get to that internet location?

Also, you were right that the Canon has .MOV files, not .MOD.

• 17. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                          luvsfotos Level 1

I'm going to read your articles, which I printed out. Thank you!

• 18. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, QT Player = Quick Time Player from Apple.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

Glad taht I could help. Now for your problem of importing RAW files. Well, Premiere elements supports files lesser than 4096X4096 resolution only. For working with those RAW files, you could use Elements Organiser: this is launched from within PRE itself.

• 20. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                                luvsfotos Level 1

Ok, I'll try that. Then send to Premiere. > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 00:20:19 -0600

To: corneliusfran@msn.com

Subject: Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

Glad taht I could help. Now for your problem of importing RAW files. Well, Premiere elements supports files lesser than 4096X4096 resolution only. For working with those RAW files, you could use Elements Organiser: this is launched from within PRE itself.

>

• 21. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                                  luvsfotos Level 1

Jeannie,

I downloaded the QuickTime update as you recommended. Then I tried uploading from my DSLR CANON 7d camera but the files are too large for Premiere, so I then imported the files from Photoshop Elements Organizer into Premiere Elements. Well, the good news:  the files DID show up in Premiere Elements and I put them on the Timeline for editing. The bad news: the name of the file was MOV1 then a number, then .MOD. So the file wasn't converted to a .MOV file, although MOV was in the name. And the quality when I hit PLAY was pretty poor. It played, the audio was perfect, but the video was not ok.

Fran

> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 00:20:19 -0600

Subject: Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

>

• 22. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

What project preset did you use while opening these files in Premiere Elements. Do you see a Red Line above the timeline? If yes, you should Render these files. Hit Enter and once the rendering completes, the red line will become green and your playback should improve.

• 23. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

Fran, you keep saying MOV and then MOD. You're not talking about MOD files at all, right? MOD files are video files from a JVC Everio -- and that's not what you're trying to edit, right?

It's very important to distinquish between the two. If we start talking about MODs again, we're going to go down a completely different route with solutions.

MOVs are Quicktime files.

• 24. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                                        luvsfotos Level 1

I'll try to explain why I keep saying ".MOD". The steps I took: I had already updated QuickTime as advised by Forum members.

Also I had deleted Temporary Files and checked Defrag which I didn’t need.

I opened Premiere Elements 9 and clicked on NEW PROJECT and named it MOCKINGBIRD SINGING AT SAN MIGUEL.

Then I inserted the CF memory card from my Canon 7d DSLR into the computer card reader. Among many photos were 3 movie segments done with my DSLR still camera, in movie mode. (of a mockingbird singing on the roof of my house.)

I clicked on GET MEDIA and selected from FLASH, CAMERAS…. that selection.

A Message appeared that the file was too big.

I decided to download the clips to the Photoshop Elements Organizer first, and then try sending them to Premiere. I right clicked on the thumbnails and chose EDIT IN PREMIERE ELEMENTS.

Premiere Elements actually did import the movie clips, because 3 thumbnails appeared.

I dragged them to the Timeline for editing.  They displayed the following names:

MOV001.MOD

MOV002.MOD

MOV003.MOD

So, even though the name contains MOV, the actual format is still .MOD!

Two forum members had told me that I needed certain codecs  and if I updated my QuickTime software that would achieve it. But here they were, still named MOV001.MOD.  Still ending in .MOD.

That is why I keep saying MOD files, not MOV files.

The video clips were jerky and poor quality. Partly because I recorded the singing bird at dawn in low lighting; but also because I don’t think the clips were in the right format, as I described above.

Still, at least the audio was good. So I edited the clips (cut out lousy parts) and then burned a DVD which did work.

So today I got your e-mail. And I opened Premiere Elements and clicked on OPEN PROJECT and selected one of several MOCKINGBIRD SINGING files to get the exact wording to explain it to you.  However, now every one in the list of projects ended in .prel. And when I tried to open the project, a message came up that I had the wrong codec for opening that type of file.

I am lost. It shouldn’t be this hard, should it???

Fran 

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:18:03 -0600

Subject: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

Fran, you keep saying MOV and then MOD. You're not talking about MOD files at all, right? MOD files are video files from a JVC Everio -- and that's not what you're trying to edit, right?

It's very important to distinquish between the two. If we start talking about MODs again, we're going to go down a completely different route with solutions.

MOVs are Quicktime files.

>

• 25. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

No. If you've set up your project using the project settings for video from a DSLR and you use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera to get the video from the camera to your computer, it should work perfectly.

There are a number of people on the Muvipix forum that work with similar video. It may be worth posting to their forum and seeing if you get a response.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Bill and I can tell you how it SHOULD work -- but there's no substitute for getting advice from somebody who's actually doing it.

EDIT

Actually, after some research, I think you may be right. Some Canon still cams do use MOD video.

Check in with the nice people at Muvipix. I'm sure they'll have some very helpful advice. Make sure you mention the frame size of the video you're shooting (640x480, 1920x1080, 1280x720, etc.).

• 26. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                                            luvsfotos Level 1

Thank you for answering and trying to help. I am considering paying Adobe to walk me through this.

> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:21:01 -0600

From: forums@adobe.com

No. If you've set up your project using the project settings for video from a DSLR and you use Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera to get the video from the camera to your computer, it should work perfectly.

There are a number of people on the Muvipix forum that work with similar video. It may be worth posting to their forum and seeing if you get a response.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Bill and I can tell you how it SHOULD work -- but there's no substitute for getting advice from somebody who's actually doing it.

>

• 27. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?

Well, you shouldn't have to. Tech Support is usually free for basic program functions.

And posting to Muvipix is also free.

But it's up to you. Hope you find a solution.

• 28. Re: How can I get video media .MOD into Premiere El. 9?
                                                                luvsfotos Level 1

Steve - thanks for reminding me that some of it is free. I'll try that first.  I'll look at  that website you recommended, too. Fran

> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:37:55 -0600

From: forums@adobe.com

Well, you shouldn't have to. Tech Support is usually free for basic program functions.

And posting to Muvipix is also free.

But it's up to you.

>