8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 8:01 AM by nantoskey

BUILD steps

nantoskey

I'm trying to better understand the sequence of major steps to build my edit computer.  I've combed this forum and have been compiling tips etc.

Am I on the right track here?

Install:

CPU/Cooler/MOBO

RAM 6x4GB @1600

power supply

C: drive

DVD drive

Monitors, keyboard, mouse

Set customized BIOS settings:

--set Pagefile

--enable XMP for 1600 RAM

Install Windows 7 with all partitions created ahead of time - HOW IS THIS DONE?

HOW MANY PARTITIONS NEEDED?

Load drivers for Raid & graphics card

Connect 4 disks

Create RAID array

Install Graphics Card

Load Adobe 5.5, register, activate

Backup IMAGE

THANK YOU.

--NAN

• 1. Re: BUILD steps
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are going to dual boot with another Operating System (I use WinXP and Win7... WinXP installed first so Win7 would establish itself as the boot manager) you simply put your Win7 disc in the drive and follow the onscreen instructions and prompts

You have Win7 use the entire boot drive as one partition

For any Microsoft questions, you may search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Also, during setup, have a USB hard drive handy and make step-by-step image backups of your boot drive... so if you don't like something, you may easily go back a step

Making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
          This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
          The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
          Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
          Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 2. Re: BUILD steps
            nantoskey Level 1

Thanks John.  I'll definitely utilize that image app link you posted.

So I have the major steps correct? 

-NAN

• 3. Re: BUILD steps
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Install graphics card goes up with the original hardware... there is no reason to use onboard graphics and install the card later... Win7 will use "default" video drivers which you update later after the initial Win7 install... and don't forget to use the motherboard CD to install Win7 drivers

And, to clarify what I did with making an IMAGE

1st image after basic Win7 install and activation

2nd image after motherboard CD and nVidia drivers

3rd image after CS5 Master Collection

4th image after MS Office

5th image after all other software

Since then, I've made a full image every 3-4 months, simple file copies to backup in between

• 4. Re: BUILD steps
                nantoskey Level 1

Thank you, I think I'm about ready to do this ...  Thank you very much!

I really would not be attempting all this if it weren't for this forum!

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 5. Re: BUILD steps
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

Depending on the size of your CPU fan, you may need to install the memory first.

Outside of that caveat, the general principle is:

Assemble the hardware (all of it).

Install Windows.

Update Windows and drivers.

Install other software.

Update other software as needed.

• 6. Re: BUILD steps
                    nantoskey Level 1

OK, thanks for that clarification.

I think where I'm confused regarding step sequence are the posts  recommending to "set up all partitions ahead of time" & "make sure pagefile is first file on the disk".

PAGEFILE:

The recommended size it still shown by Windows as 1.5 times available memory. That used to be advisable for systems with 8 GB or less, but with 24 GB installed in the system, you will be hard pressed to use the pagefile at all, so I would suggest not spending mor than 12 GB on the pagefile, but make sure it is the first file created on the disk, because then it is located on the fastest part of the disk and is not fragmented.

Pasted from <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/838637?tstart=60>

PARTITIONS:

Windows 7 install by default creates a 100Meg partition that includes the BCD boot manager and other boot files. This was suppose to make it easier to recover from boot problems into the  OS. However this partition often causes issues with imaging software. Windows 7 will put that partition on any available drive with out a partition when you install it. You have to install Windows with all partitions created ahead of time  to stop the installer from creating that partition. If you delete that partition then the OS wont boot anymore until you regenerate the BCD files on the OS drive. You  can do that but it takes using the command console and some commands.

Pasted from <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/827641?tstart=30> -NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com

• 7. Re: BUILD steps
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

Don't create partitions.  Use the whole hard drive as one.

Let Windows manage the page file.  Don't worry about it.

• 8. Re: BUILD steps
                        nantoskey Level 1

Thanks Jim ... don't worry, be happy!

-NAN

Nan Toskey

www.MEDIAtoRemember.com