3 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 6:14 AM by pcford

_All_ Files Disappeared in After Effects!

pcford Level 1

CS3 After three days of work over the weekend, I was loaded a AE project back on a USB drive so I could take it back to work with me tomorrow. The piece is a 35 second animation...maybe two or three dozen layers. (The strange thing is that the last comp which I exported was over a gig in size.) The transer to the USB drive was going slowly, so I canceled it.

Much to my surprise, all...I repeat...all of the files disappeared. All the project had was a name in AE...no files...no timeline...no nuthin'.Like I have just created a new project. The project remembers that it used files in the File/Open Recent Files but there is no trace of the timeline

Is there a way of retreiving a previously saved version? Help! Got to get this done for a major presentation. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: _All_ Files Disappeared in After Effects!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          The project remembers that it used files in the File/Open Recent Files but there is no trace of the timeline

Recent files is a program setting and has nothing to do with the project itself. Other than that I don't think you will have any luck recovering anything - working directly off USB sticks just is not reliable and as per your description, the stick seems defective or at least heavily fragmented, hence the data loss. Unless you have an auto-save version somewhere or explicitly saved a backup copy to your internal drives, there wil lbe nothing there.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: _All_ Files Disappeared in After Effects!
            pcford Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

It seems I did not make myself clear. I was not using a USB stick drive. I was using an external hard drive which was connected by an USB connection. I have two external hard drives which I use. One is a normal external hard drive with an USB connection. The other hard drive is a USB docking station into which I can put various hard drives.

You mention the possibility of an autosave version. Do you know where these might be found? I have looked and there is no obvious location.

I have never lost _all_ files in a video editing project.

• 3. Re: _All_ Files Disappeared in After Effects!
              pcford Level 1

I checked and I did not have AE After

Effects auto-save turned out.

It seems that I am well and truly hosed. All I have is the final rendering...which was not bad...but needed more tweaking. I intended to do that in a short while at work today.

Oh well, starting over with a new project won't take as long to do.