8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 6:34 AM by Peter Spier

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error

Jenna Hamilton Level 1

I recieved this error this morning and was trying to understand what it means. Can anyone help please?

I'm working on:

64bit bit PC

InDesign CS5

TeaCup Barcode Maker Plugin (indesign)

Windows 7

Error Message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C...

R6025

-pure virtual function call

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             InDesign.exe

Application Version:                           7.0.4.553

Application Timestamp:                     4d890440

Fault Module Name:                          StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version:                        0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:                  00000000

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                ef000400

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  0a9e

Additional Information 2:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:                  0a9e

Additional Information 4:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 1. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's a very generic error. The first thing to try is probably a Windows System Restore to a point at which things were working.

• 2. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
            John Hawkinson Level 5

Err, doesn't it just mean InDesign crashed?

I'm not a Windows developer, but I thought that when this error happened, a minidump was generated and you had to look at the minidump for details on the error:

On MacOS X, after InDesign crashes, the Adobe Crashreporter pops up and it has a Crash Data button you can press to see the stack trace, the set of functions that were running when the crash ocurred. Is there not a Windows analog?

• 3. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
              Jenna Hamilton Level 1

our team of 3 designers (PC 64-bit windows 7) seem to always have tons of crashes. Some with this type of error and sometimes with others. We log all of them with our IS team, but they are more hardware and less software support. So we report these errors, but our IS team doesn't know how to respond to them.

I'm trying to be my own problem solver/researcher when it comes to why a program crashed and future ways of preventing it.

We have rebuilt machines, run updates, added RAM, memory, optimized out program settings/preferences.

We work with large design files, sometimes up to several GB. Large tradeshow graphics,sailboat design (photo based), embedding  InDesign documents into each other, using all and any of the indesign interactive features, etc...

It is something we have struggled with since CS4.

I'm trying to understand the software errors more so I can help resolve the issue. Searching online for these generic errors turns up tons of random results, so I thought my best bet was to try here.

Thanks for all and any feedback

• 4. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error

@John > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749

While in theory it's possible that this is a programming error in ID, in my experience it usually is actually a Windows problem or a newly corrupt file in the ID installation. Doing a Windows restore is pretty fast and painless, if it works, and the next step is generally to try a reinstall of ID (or load yoru backup image if you have one).

• 5. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Well, obviously you should try what's easiest.

The detective in me very much resists the idea of trying solutions that eliminate the evidence of the problem, but it's probably true that doing a system restore is easiest.

Have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer?

After that, you can make sure minidumps are enabled by following the directions at the bottom of http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/79ba5845-c196-4d98-92d 1-67c7caea9bcf and seeing if there are any. I think you might have to install some unfamiliar tool like WinDBG in order to view them and see where they happen...

Anyhow, though, I suspect you'd find that Peter is right, and the operating system has some fault that is causing ID to crash, and if you were to find out where ID was crashing, you would find it was crashing in a call to the operating system. But maybe not? Especially if you're seeing it on multiple machines.

• 6. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error

John Hawkinson wrote:

The detective in me very much resists the idea of trying solutions that eliminate the evidence of the problem, but it's probably true that doing a system restore is easiest.

Well, I like to solve problems, too, like why my laptop won't allow me to enter the Fonts folder without truning off all the fonts used for dialogs, but after three or four days of not being able to track it down I get pragmatic, say I have real work that needs to be done, and do a restore to a known working condition.

Windows event viewer is usaully pretty useless to the non-geek. I've never seen a mini-dump I could read or an event viewer description that provided more than a listing of the faulting module, if that, in English.  I suspect that downloading the debugging tools might be useful for someone with training in how to use them, but most of us here don't fall into that category.

And if you do identify that there is a corrupt file, what's the solution? You replace the file. System Restore replaces the current set of critical Windows System files and Registry with a stored set from a previous time. Seems like its a no harm, no foul first step for the non-geek. If it doesn't work, odds are good the problem is in the ID install, and I don't know a way to extract a single file from the ID installer, do you?

• 7. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error
                      John Hawkinson Level 5
                      Well, I like to solve problems, too, like why my laptop won't allow me to enter the Fonts folder without truning off all the fonts used for dialogs, but after three or four days of not being able to track it down I get pragmatic, say I have real work that needs to be done, and do a restore to a known working condition.

You know that would never happen on a Mac :-).

• 8. Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error

I've heard that propaganda before. Back when I used to work on Mac's they'd crash at least once a day, and the font system would self-destruct once a month. I've apparently been using the laptop in this condition for more than two years (my oldest drive backup image demonstrates the same issue) without need to install a font, and as long as I don't try to do that in the system folder the thing will run along merrily for weeks at a time without a hitch -- then I need to shut down to hit the road.