10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 2:19 PM by always forever weddings RSS

Crop Tool in  CS5

always forever weddings

Recently my crop tool has a mind of its own.  When I select crop, it sometimes makes a rotated selection, sometimes it selects as a triange, sometimes it not straight and slightly turned. Then it will select correctly for a few times and start back again.  And when I put in exact measurements, it is a nightmare.  It is taking me three times as long to work on an order.  And the other problem I noticed is that when I try to drag an image in Photoshop, I get nothing or the wrong image.  This just started a week ago.  Prior to that everything was fine.

I have gone through every selection I could think of.  I even changed the batteries in my mouse.  Getting in and out does not help either.  I have a PC.  Can anyone tell me what I selected so I can resolve this issue?  HELP PLEASE!!!

Donna

• 1. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
          Noel Carboni Community Member

One good possibility:  Check to see if your display driver can be updated to a newer version via a download from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
            always forever weddings Community Member

I appreciate your help Noel, but I have no clue how to do that.  I still feel I might have clicked something.  If anyone else is having this problem or has corrected this problem, please le me know.

Donna

• 3. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
              sightnsound Community Member

Its simple  My guess is you an Nvidia Graphics Card display drivers make them able to improve resolution amoing other things.

Microsoft just released a new one a few days ago. A good bet with your problem.

Go to each step-step  by step

Left click (some may take double clicks

1-Control Panel

2-Device Manager

3-Display Adapters

4-Drivers

5-Roll Back Drivers

This automatically rolls back the drivers to the privous one. They were stable from your explination Its a good and easy place to start

When completed-reboot

That should get you back to stable Photoshop.

You have just reset your display drivers.

• 4. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Hi,

Okay I was able to find out what you stated in your email.  The Roll Back Drivers option was grayed out.  So I installed updates to my driver.  That was something someone else suggested.  I had to reboot my computer.  However, the problem still exists.  This is so frustrating!!!

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

Always Forever Photography

www.alwaysforeverphoto.com

dwilliams@alwaysforeverphoto.com

We will create memories of your life

• 5. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

always forever weddings wrote:

So I installed updates to my driver

I suggested updating your driver, yes, but not the way you did it.  The drivers you load that way - from Microsoft Hardware Quality Labs - are almost always out of date and bug-ridden.

When you can't stand it any more just ask and I'll be here to help you learn the right way to get updated drivers.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Noel,

Please don't tell me that.  Do you think I should run my anti-virus software?  And I can't stand it any longer.  Are you sure I need updates for my driver.  It is an ATI Radeon HD 5570.

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

• 7. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Bug-ridden doesn't mean "with virus".  Don't worry; Microsoft doesn't provide virus-laden drivers.  The term "bug" means "error".

Since you haven't told us what version of Windows you're running, I'll make the instructions more general:

Here's what you do:

1.  Go to this site:

http://www.amd.com/us/pages/amdhomepage.aspx

2.  Click on the Find a Driver link near the upper-right of the page.

3.  Choose Desktop Graphics, Radeon HD Series, Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, enter your operating system, then press View Results>>.

ATI.jpg

4.  The above will take you to a page where you can download a package called Catalyst Software Suite 11.5.  Hit the [ Download ] button.

5.  When prompted, you want to Run the downloaded installer.

6.  Follow the on-screen instructions to install Catalyst 11.5.

7.  It may not prompt you to reboot, but do so after completing the installer anyway.

I can't guarantee this will correct the problem you're having - for all I know you may have a bad mouse - but Catalyst 11.5 is a known good set of drivers (that is the version I run with my Radeon HD 5670 card).  If after having installed Catalyst 11.5, if the problem isn't fixed for you, please post again and we can do further diagnosis here.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

It is Windows 7.  Does that make any difference?

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

• 9. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

The instructions above are equally valid for all versions of Windows.

Windows 7 is what I'm using as well without problems, so that's an additional indication that Catalyst 11.5 will be a good driver set for you.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

It was the mouse.  I replaced the mouse, and it works fine now!  Yeah!!!