10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 2:19 PM by always forever weddings RSS

Crop Tool in  CS5

always forever weddings

Recently my crop tool has a mind of its own.  When I select crop, it sometimes makes a rotated selection, sometimes it selects as a triange, sometimes it not straight and slightly turned. Then it will select correctly for a few times and start back again.  And when I put in exact measurements, it is a nightmare.  It is taking me three times as long to work on an order.  And the other problem I noticed is that when I try to drag an image in Photoshop, I get nothing or the wrong image.  This just started a week ago.  Prior to that everything was fine.

I have gone through every selection I could think of.  I even changed the batteries in my mouse.  Getting in and out does not help either.  I have a PC.  Can anyone tell me what I selected so I can resolve this issue?  HELP PLEASE!!!

Donna

• 1. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
          Noel Carboni Community Member

One good possibility:  Check to see if your display driver can be updated to a newer version via a download from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
            always forever weddings Community Member

I appreciate your help Noel, but I have no clue how to do that.  I still feel I might have clicked something.  If anyone else is having this problem or has corrected this problem, please le me know.

Donna

• 3. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5
              sightnsound

Its simple  My guess is you an Nvidia Graphics Card display drivers make them able to improve resolution amoing other things.

Microsoft just released a new one a few days ago. A good bet with your problem.

Go to each step-step  by step

Left click (some may take double clicks

1-Control Panel

2-Device Manager

3-Display Adapters

4-Drivers

5-Roll Back Drivers

This automatically rolls back the drivers to the privous one. They were stable from your explination Its a good and easy place to start

When completed-reboot

That should get you back to stable Photoshop.

You have just reset your display drivers.

• 4. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Hi,

Okay I was able to find out what you stated in your email.  The Roll Back Drivers option was grayed out.  So I installed updates to my driver.  That was something someone else suggested.  I had to reboot my computer.  However, the problem still exists.  This is so frustrating!!!

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

Always Forever Photography

www.alwaysforeverphoto.com

dwilliams@alwaysforeverphoto.com

We will create memories of your life

• 5. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

always forever weddings wrote:

So I installed updates to my driver

I suggested updating your driver, yes, but not the way you did it.  The drivers you load that way - from Microsoft Hardware Quality Labs - are almost always out of date and bug-ridden.

When you can't stand it any more just ask and I'll be here to help you learn the right way to get updated drivers.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Noel,

Please don't tell me that.  Do you think I should run my anti-virus software?  And I can't stand it any longer.  Are you sure I need updates for my driver.  It is an ATI Radeon HD 5570.

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

• 7. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

Bug-ridden doesn't mean "with virus".  Don't worry; Microsoft doesn't provide virus-laden drivers.  The term "bug" means "error".

Since you haven't told us what version of Windows you're running, I'll make the instructions more general:

Here's what you do:

1.  Go to this site:

http://www.amd.com/us/pages/amdhomepage.aspx

2.  Click on the Find a Driver link near the upper-right of the page.

3.  Choose Desktop Graphics, Radeon HD Series, Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, enter your operating system, then press View Results>>.

ATI.jpg

4.  The above will take you to a page where you can download a package called Catalyst Software Suite 11.5.  Hit the [ Download ] button.

5.  When prompted, you want to Run the downloaded installer.

6.  Follow the on-screen instructions to install Catalyst 11.5.

7.  It may not prompt you to reboot, but do so after completing the installer anyway.

I can't guarantee this will correct the problem you're having - for all I know you may have a bad mouse - but Catalyst 11.5 is a known good set of drivers (that is the version I run with my Radeon HD 5670 card).  If after having installed Catalyst 11.5, if the problem isn't fixed for you, please post again and we can do further diagnosis here.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

It is Windows 7.  Does that make any difference?

Sincerely,

Donna Williams

• 9. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

The instructions above are equally valid for all versions of Windows.

Windows 7 is what I'm using as well without problems, so that's an additional indication that Catalyst 11.5 will be a good driver set for you.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Crop Tool in  CS5

It was the mouse.  I replaced the mouse, and it works fine now!  Yeah!!!