8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 8:48 PM by John Hawkinson

Can I email Support?

JasonLumsden.Com

After 2 hours of hold, and disconnects, I am not gonna call back.

Is there an email I can use to contact Indesign tech support or customer service?

Thx

Background incase you are curious:

I have 2 printers (both on InDesign CS5, me on CS5.5) that hate me sending them IDML files.

I've already seen the monster backsaving thread, understand the way the world is, and will keep my opinions to myself on the subject.

These printers pay the bills, so I would rather make them happy than have the latest version, so I would like to downgrade my CS5.5 to CS5.

Phone call 1 to Person A says I can't do that. I say why? She sends me to TechSupport where I sit for another 40min.

I hang up, call back, Person B says he doesn't know if I can do that, forwards me to TechSupport, where I hang around for a while, and then get dropped.

Is there any reason that I should not be able to get rid of CS5.5 for 5?

It's not like I want money back, I just want one of the old disks being used as a coaster in the project managers office.

• 1. Re: Can I email Support?
          peter minneapolis Level 4

JasonLumsden.Com wrote:

After 2 hours of hold, and disconnects, I am not gonna call back.

Is there an email I can use to contact Indesign tech support or customer service?

Thx

Background incase you are curious:

I have 2 printers (both on InDesign CS5, me on CS5.5) that hate me sending them IDML files.

I've already seen the monster backsaving thread, understand the way the world is, and will keep my opinions to myself on the subject.

These printers pay the bills, so I would rather make them happy than have the latest version, so I would like to downgrade my CS5.5 to CS5.

Phone call 1 to Person A says I can't do that. I say why? She sends me to TechSupport where I sit for another 40min.

I hang up, call back, Person B says he doesn't know if I can do that, forwards me to TechSupport, where I hang around for a while, and then get dropped.

Is there any reason that I should not be able to get rid of CS5.5 for 5?

It's not like I want money back, I just want one of the old disks being used as a coaster in the project managers office.

Hi, Jason:

I suggest calling back to customer support (not tech support, as this is a customer issue) and insist on ESCALATING (use that term) the case to the highest level manager or supervisor in the support division. It will help if you have a case number and also the names of the folks you've spoken to, because, not only are you getting incomplete service, but you're getting run-arounds.

Ultimately, though, it may not be possible to do this through Adobe, as they stop selling old versions when new ones are released.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Can I email Support?
            Stix Hart Level 5

You can do this with volume licensing but I've never heard of Adobe doing it for individuals.  You can probably still get a CS5 version off Amazon still.

Basically they don't give a s**t about the position you're in otherwise they would offer a solution to downgrade.  The thing is they've exacerbated this problem by releasing a dot release that can't play with the non dot.  If we want to add another license for a new employee we have to upgrade everyone else to CS5.5.  And they wonder why they get piracy...

Hopefully your experience will prove me wrong and they've decided to offer some flexibility, in which case I'll humbly take this rant back and eat it.  I'm not one of those who insist that is should be easy for them to make all versions open newer files, I simply want a way I can use their software for business without them dictating with an unprecedented dot release that I have to upgrade everything just to add a user.  Look at this thread here, what would happen if they wanted to add a new user?  It's not the cost (which in their case they don't seem to be too worried about) they simply can't go from CS3 because of performance issues.

• 3. Re: Can I email Support?
              John Hawkinson Level 5
              You can do this with volume licensing but I've never heard of Adobe doing it for individuals.  You can probably still get a CS5 version off Amazon still.

I don't think there is anything that prevents individuals from purchasing TLP volume licenses.

Someone posted recently (though I cant' find it here...) about needing to downgrade and getting Adobe to exchange their regular license for a volume license. They were in a European country...

One can reach Adobe's support electronically at http://adobe.com/go/support.

Oh, and I've never used it, but you can also apparently email adbecare@adobe.com [sic]. That may be the way to go since I think your case is a bit out of the ordinary, and I think that address is for escalations.

Maybe you could give your CS5.5 to your printer.

• 4. Re: Can I email Support?
                Stix Hart Level 5

Hmmm, OK as stated I'll eat my hat etc...  Anyone else done this?

• 5. Re: Can I email Support?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

JasonLumsden.Com wrote:

Aside from what's already been said, how do your printers feel about PDF? You can send press-ready PDF from any version of ID, and in my opinion, it's the ONLY thing you should send to a printer. PDF solves problems like missing/wrong fonts and wrong platform, missing links, and there's essentially no chance that the file will be changed before output.

• 6. Re: Can I email Support?
                    JasonLumsden.Com Level 1

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I will post how it goes, should know by tomorrow night.

As for the printers, I freelance for them, and they require the original files for future edits/minor tweaks etc.

• 7. Re: Can I email Support?
                      JasonLumsden.Com Level 1

Well, not much gonna happen now I guess.

I just got off the phone again, and because I bought a Suite, they cannot down grade just one item.

When I inquired about sending my suite back and buying each item, they said that InDesign is no longer sold. LOL.

I was transferred to the print department to see if they could provide tech support, but after 25 minutes on hold, I could care less at this point, and won't call back.

• 8. Re: Can I email Support?
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm sorry it wasn't clear, you would need to talk to volume licensing sales. They are a different department, and apparently the only people who are informed about downgrades [it would seem]. 800-443-8158

Though I will say if you are phased by 25 minutes on hold, then you are probably going to have trouble. Speakerphones are great for that...