15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 5:13 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips

APN2010 Level 1

I have been using this software for about 2 days now so please excuse my total lack of knowledge. I have an HP xw4400 workstation w/ 4GB, 3 80GB JBOD drives and XP SP3 w/ an nVidia card. Not sure which one.

I loaded an .avi file and added three songs from my iTunes library. Doing strictly linear eding w/ nothing being inserted. Some footage is being cut.

Editing was going fine using the Sceneline view. I have been able to clip footage and drag the in point and out point to edit my clips. Yesterday my system hung, which is unusual. I rebooted and reloaded my project.

Now when I click on an in-point or out point the two views pop up in the monitor window (like before) but now the screens are black on the bottom half. When I finish dragging the in or out point I now have a black/blank section between the clip I just edited and the next clip.

I have rebooted twice and the problem persists. Do I need to re-install my software? If I re-install will that effect my project?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions:

3 80GB JBOD drives

I this 3 - 80GB HDD's?

If so, what is the amount of defragmented free space on each, and how do you have them allocated?

I loaded an .avi file

Can you give us the full details of the AVI file? This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background, and how to gather info, if necessary.

an nVidia card. Not sure which one.

This would be very useful info, along with the exact driver version number and date. Anytime that one has display issues, the first thing to check is the video driver.

When you switch to the Timeline View Mode, do things look any better? If not, can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline for us to see how things are arranged?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
            APN2010 Level 1

Bill,

JBOD means just a bunch of drives, no RAID. I have PE9.0 and my AVI on one of the 80GB drive w/46.7GB available. My video card is an NVS285 with driver version 6.14.11.6252. I do not see any date information, but the card is probably 3-4 years old. I'm a little nervous about downloading the free software to check the CODEC. But your article makes it sound important to know the CODECs of your files.

I was editing without any issues before the system hung up. I re-booted three times and the second time managed to boot in safe mode and then shut down. I've been told this helps with any issues that are caused by hitting the power button when the system is hung. Could I have some how corrupted PE9.0 when the system hung?

When I switch to time line and move the inpoint the frames that I remove are replaced by a grey bar on my video and audio timeline.Thankfully, when I hit undo all of my frames come back.

I downloaded the latest version of Quicktime and PRE9.0 as Adobe recommended.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This looks like your video card: http://shopping.yahoo.com/13288295-hp-nvidia-quadro-nvs-285-video-card/

Not sure if this one needs a driver from HP, or if the updated drivers come from nVidia. With HP, Dell, Toshiba, and more, all video drivers are proprietary, and though the cards often carry an nVidia (or ATI) designation, they are set up to ONLY allow for the mfgr's. drivers to work. In your case, I do not know. Does HP show a newer driver? If not, does nVidia show a newer driver, though it might end up not installing?

The free space on your Just a Bunch of Drives, could be an issue. One possible clue is that things did work, and after some Projects, then did not. HDD's can become full very quickly, and especially 80GB HDD's. Heck, on my workstation, I have 9 1TB SATA II units and then a 500GB system HDD, and I have filled those puppies up, when I have been busy.

When I switch to time line and move the inpoint the frames that I remove are replaced by a grey bar on my video and audio timeline.Thankfully, when I hit undo all of my frames come back.

This sounds like you are Deleting Assets and NOT Closing the Gaps. If you wish to Delete an Asset (could be Video, Video w/ Audio, Stills, Titles, etc.), and have the rest of the Assets "Ripple" to the left, just Rt-click on the Asset, and choose Delete and Close Gap. Note: if you have a Video, or Audio Asset, that spans that area, and is not being Deleted, then the Close Gap will NOT work. This aspect can trip one up, if they expect something else to happen.

Good to hear about QT. While some hate that player on a PC, I have had it for over a decade, and while I study any upgrades carefully, have had zero issues. PrE, unlike its big-brother, PrPro, relies more heavily on QT Player.

Let us know about that free space on the HDD's and also the availability of a new driver. The more we discuss the problems, the less I think that it's a display issue, but let's just cover that base, so we can move on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                APN2010 Level 1

In the Timeline view I selected a clip to edit. I grab the in-point and drag to the right to remove frames. When I take my finger off of the left mouse button the gray band shows up in the timeline. I then close the edit box and right click on the gray band. Delete and close gap is there but it is not selectable.

Free space on my G drive is still 46.7GB. I down loaded a new video driver but the download notes from nVidia and HP do not mention any updates for the nvs 285.

Everything was fine untill my system hung up and I had to shut it off. Would it delete or damage my currently partially edited project if I re-installed my sofware?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That kind of hang and power off could corrupt your project or your preferences

I don't know the extent of the program's auto saves, but you might try opening an older project from before the crash

For corrupt preferences, Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                    APN2010 Level 1

John,

I just started using this software so I only have 2 projects. I opened the one that I was not using when my system hung and I am able to edit with out black/blank sections being inserted into the sceneline. Does this mean my other project was probably corrupted when the system hung? If so, do I need to start all over again?

I was not sure what you meant by the "corrupt preferences". I held those keys while I booted PE9.0 but it did not look like anything happened.

Andy

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Does this mean my other project was probably corrupted when the system hung? If so, do I need to start all over again?

The PREL (Project file) could be corrupt, but before you Delete it, or do anything else with it, look for you AutoSave files. They should be in the Project Folder. Unless you changed the default, you should have up to five AutoSave files, also with PREL extensions. Note: AutoSaves are FIFO, and the -1 thru -5 numbers at the end of the file name are reflective of that - look at that folder in Detail View, and Open the last file created, based on the Date/Time. File [Project Name] -3 could be newer, than -5.

Let us know if your AutoSave files for that Project get things working. Remember, do NOT Delete that Project's .PREL yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                        APN2010 Level 1

Hunt,

I was able to locate the autosave files and loaded -3 and then -1. I still have the same problem. When I click an in or out point and drag it to edit a clip, instead of the clips joining up there is a gray area on the scene line bar and a new blank/black frame appears in the Video windows in the MyProject screen. I made some small edits and they worked. Then I cut a few seconds and my problem re-appeared.

Sorry if my terminology is not correct.

Andy

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

I thought that might be the case, and is why I did not want you to Delete the original PREL.

Now, please load that PREL into PrE, and turn ON Timeline View Mode. Do a screen-cap of that Timeline, and attach it to your reply (via the little "camera" icon on the editing screen with either a PNG, or JPEG file). I think I know what you are seeing, but want to be sure, before I either bore you, or confuse you, with the steps to handle what you are encountering.

Thanks, in advance, for the screen-caps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                            APN2010 Level 1

Bill,

Not sure if you will get this email but I couldnot do a screen capture and add it to the forum. The only camera I can find on the screen is in the Monitor view and that seems to be for creating snap shots.

Andy

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                              APN2010 Level 1

Bill,

I loaded PREL-1 into PE9.0 and selected Timeline. I cannot get a screen cap and past it into this reply. The only camera that I see on the screen is in the Monitor screen and it seems to be for creating snapshots.

I get an email notice when you reply to these posts. I replied to the last one and attached my screen shot. I don't know if you will get the message or not.

Regards,

Andy

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps this ARTICLE on screen-caps will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I get an email notice when you reply to these posts. I replied to the last one and attached my screen shot. I don't know if you will get the message or not.

That was probably the e-mail notification from the forum software. One can set E-Mail Notification, for several different things, such as only for activity in a thread that one initiated, all activity in every thread, or even forum, that one has visited. This ARTICLE will explain more, plus tell how to change the notifications.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                                    APN2010 Level 1

I tried all of the suggestions here and appreciate all of the help. I ended up un-installing and re-installing my software. It was the only thing that worked. I had to start my project all over again. Hoping for better luck next time.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9.0 blank/black clips
                                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad you were able to find a solution -- although, even if you uninstall/reinstall the program, you technically should not have had to start your project all over again. Project files are separate from the installation files.

But the important thing is that you're up and running. Happy moviemaking!