1 Reply Latest reply on May 31, 2011 5:25 PM by peter minneapolis

Batch modify ID booklets w/styles

scooterluv

I'm not sure if what I want to accomplishis possible or not. I have 325 InDesign booklets (4-20 pages) that I need to convert to another InDesign template. The character and paragraph styles have the same names but different fonts assigned to them. Is there a way, or script, to select multiple booklet files and assign or convert the existing styles to the new styles otherwise I will ultimately end up opening up each one and importing the styles for each file.

• 1. Re: Batch modify ID booklets w/styles
          peter minneapolis Level 4

scooterluv wrote:

I'm not sure if what I want to accomplishis possible or not. I have 325 InDesign booklets (4-20 pages) that I need to convert to another InDesign template. The character and paragraph styles have the same names but different fonts assigned to them. Is there a way, or script, to select multiple booklet files and assign or convert the existing styles to the new styles otherwise I will ultimately end up opening up each one and importing the styles for each file.

If there's one document in which all the styles are correctly named and formatted, you can create an InDesign book, add multiple files to the book, designate the "right" (or master) file as the book's Style Source, and synchronize the other files to it.

[EDIT] I don't know if there's a fixed maximum number of files that a book can contain, nor what the maximum number of files that can be successfully synchronized to a style source might be, so I suggest working with a modest number of files at one time. And, of course, make copies of all the files in the project before working.

[/EDIT]

Search Google for terms like "InDesign book tutorial," "InDesign synchronize book files," "InDesign book style source," and similar phrases without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro