3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 12:05 PM by dwgregg

Two AE CS5 view windows, one won't update

dwgregg

Big problem for some of the stuff I do -- stereoscope in particular.

I have two view windows representing a comp and one of its subcomps.  The main comp is locked (to keep the window open and in view).  In CS3, if I have a comp open and locked to its view and one of its sub-comps open, I an make changes in the sub comp and see the result in the parent comp (not in real time or scrolling around, but once the mouse button is released it updates).  I can't get this to work in AE CS5.

Dug throught the docs and such, but no clue as to why this no longer works.  It's a big problem!  I often need to see the results of a sub-comp updated kind-of interactively this way.  Did they move something?  Change some default?  Or did someone think such things were not really needed?...

Windows 7 (64 bit).  8 Core. 12 gig of ram.

• 1. Re: Two AE CS5 view windows, one won't update
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nothing changed there, in fact the feedback should be better with ETLAT due to the changed caching. So whatever you see may be specific. Could be OpenGL, could be that you have turned off synchronized time of nested comps could be that you have disabled inheritance of switches for nested comps or have overridden the resolution and it always needs to re-calculate everything due to these mismatches, preventing interactive updates. Look into these things.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Two AE CS5 view windows, one won't update
            dwgregg Level 1

Nothing changed there, in fact the feedback should be better with ETLAT due to the changed caching. So whatever you see may be specific. Could  be OpenGL, could be that you have turned off synchronized time of nested  comps could be that you have disabled inheritance of switches for  nested comps or have overridden the resolution and it always needs to  re-calculate everything due to these mismatches, preventing interactive  updates. Look into these things.

Umm,  The synchronize time is on as is inherit switches.  Live update, I've tried on and off everywhere.  Still the window comp does not respond to changes in the sub-comp directly below it. 

Perserve frame rate and resolution were off by default.  Turned them on in all subcomps but didn't matter either way.  Something is whacky here!  This original animation comp was imported from CS4.  Anything in the cache settings that might affect things strangely.  I really need to see alignments for way too many elements to be guessing about positions!  (ouch).

• 3. Re: Two AE CS5 view windows, one won't update
              dwgregg Level 1

Finally got it to work as expected though not entirely sure why.  Recopied the sub-comp from its original and replaced it. Toggled all the switches and settings that were related.  I think recopying and replacing the subcomp may have done it as I had some wierdness in duplicated matts earlier.

Very strange one!

Thanks for the comments.