3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 7:45 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 does not remember settings

J.Banis

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. A bit of an  introduction: Johan is my name. From the Netherlands. And I am new to  Premiere Elements. I have a bit of experience (professionally) with  FinalCut, and with an older version of Premiere under WinXP.

But now I am on a brand new Mac mini, with SnowLeopard. Heaps of fun!

Now  for my problem: Premiere does not remember its initial settings. Each  time I start up Premiere I have to change the default NTSC to PAL (and  other settings too). Elsewhere (on this forum, too) it is said that  these settings are supposed to be sticky: the last setting is remembered  for all future sessions until you decide to change these settings. But  no, not in my case.

Am I overlooking something or what?!?

sincerely,

Johan

~~~/\___Flevoland___/\~~~

• 1. Re: PE9 does not remember settings
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I am not sure what is going wrong, Johan, but I have never seen anything like this before.

I have been using Premiere Elements on my Mac for a year. It always defaults to the last project settings I used.

• 2. Re: PE9 does not remember settings
            J.Banis Level 1

Thanks Steve,

Somewhere on the system there is a textfile with settings. In this file I can change things: ntsc into pal, for instance. PE9 then opens in pal, but also overwrites this settingsfile immediatly and then my changes are lost.

Maybe I should consider a re-install?

johan

~~~/\___Flevoland___/\~~~

• 3. Re: PE9 does not remember settings
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Johan,

I am not a Mac-person, so you might have to help me a bit with Mac-speak.

Some Mac users have had to reset their Permissions. From what I gather, this is a bit like running as Administrator on a PC. IIRC, this needs to only be done once, and then the Permissions setting can be reverted, but it clears up a lot of similar issues. If I can locate the exact comments on doing this, from the PrPro forum, I will post a link.

Wish that I could speak Mac better.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Here are the steps for fixing some odd, but similar issues in PrPro CS5. They look very benign, but study them, just in case:

If you're on a Mac, here's what you need to have your tech support do. Log on to your ROOT user, load Premiere CS5 and open a project. Then close the project, boot into your user, and you should be good to go. It's an issue with Mac Permissions files that (for some reason) gets fixed by logging in as a ROOT user and running Premiere once. This should only have to happen once.