7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 12:48 PM by Stix Hart

upgrade question

kliko222

I´ve got adobe creative suite 2 standard and premium.

Now I want to upgrade only indesign to indesign cs5.

Can I buy a upgrade package or do I get the full version??

Geert

• 1. Re: upgrade question
          Stix Hart Level 5

You can't "cross grade", if you only want Indesign CS5.5 (5 is so 2010 now) you'll have to buy the full version of that.

• 2. Re: upgrade question
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I normally think of "cross grade" as moving across platforms (you can do that, but you need to do it through Adobe Customer Service), or moving from a competing product.

Perhaps it would be clearer to say that suite packages are upgradable only in their entirety, and if you want just one component you must buy a full standalone license. Frankly, though, if I were in your position this year, I would seriously consider upgrading the whole suite. This is probably your last chance to do so at discount pricing. If current policy holds, CS3 will be the oldest version eligible for upgrade pricing when CS6 is released.

I understand the thinking behind only wanting to upgrade ID sometimes. A strategy I'm considering is to buy both a suite license (well, actually I already have several) and a standalone InDesign license the next year (A bit more expensive, I think than upgradeing the entire suite, but not much, at least in the US). Upgrade the standalone until the suite becomes the oldest eligible version, then upgrade that, then back to the standalone. This keeps you current with ID, but gets you the latest Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat releases every three versions.

• 3. Re: upgrade question
              Stix Hart Level 5

Yeah, "cross grade" does tend to be used to refer to that....  Your method is not bad at all, costing it out is a bit tricky though, you'd have to make an assumption that todays prices would be indicative comparatively for the future, then guess the upgrade cycle, then base it over 3 or 6 cycles to compare it.

• 4. Re: upgrade question
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Or...every day set aside about a two dollars or so and buy the suite upgrade when it's released.

Bob

• 5. Re: upgrade question
                  Stix Hart Level 5

No I wasn't complaining about the cost this time, just thinking aloud how to compare the cost of doing it Peter's way versus upgrading the whole suite every time.

• 6. Re: upgrade question
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I know...I was just pointing out that it's a lot cheaper to keep up with things when you plan well in advance and skip the trip to Starbucks.

Bob

• 7. Re: upgrade question
                      Stix Hart Level 5

Yes, unfortunately our crystal ball didn't tell us about CS5.5...