3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 11:10 PM by Rick Gerard

Solid with Luma dependent visibility -

Bushy162

I've got my footage. On top, a white solid masked as a rectangle. I've luma matted the white rectangle to a copy of the footage, so that the white appears wherever there are light patches in the footage.Screen shot 2011-06-01 at 11.21.22.png

What's more, I've altered the brightness and contrast of the the copied footage to effect where and how much white will appear (from the white solid).

HERE's My Question:::

Screen shot 2011-06-01 at 11.40.57.png    See here, the rectangle's edges are CLEARLY shown, but I don't want this. I want it so that near the edges of the rectangle, the blotches of white still stay well defined, but SPLIT UP MORE -- You know, kind of CRACK??

How would I do this???

• 1. Re: Solid with Luma dependent visibility -
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make some radical adjustments to the top layer's effect settings. If they don't make changes in the track matte then you'll have to pre-compose the layer moving attributes to the new comp.

If that doesn't give the look you want try applying roughen edges to the white solid.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Solid with Luma dependent visibility -
            Bushy162 Level 1

Sorry, could I change my mind as to what I want. I'm really sorry.

THIS IS IT:

-I want visibility at a single point to be either 100 or 0 for my White Solid.

-The thing that determines this shall be the luma-track-matte.

-The threshold brightness value I will define the value below which the White Solid is invisible at that point

-I want the threshold brightness value to INCREASE towards the edges of the rectangle.

How can I do this?

• 3. Re: Solid with Luma dependent visibility -
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a bunch of ways you can clip the color values. The easiest would be to apply Effect>Stylize>Threshold to the top layer. You can also use Levels, curves, Levels individual controls, posterize, even Arithmetic (it's under the Chanel section). Please let me know if this produces the kind of effect you're after.