8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 6:13 AM by John Hawkinson

CS4 Workspace not holding

NTC Ann Level 1

Started in Photoshop but is also in InDesign and all parts of CS4. All of a sudden, the workspace is not holding and again, the documents are opening all the way across the desktop and behind the palettes. Even if I reset the workspace... it isn't holding again and is a super pain. Does anyone know the steps to get things back to normal so that the workspace holds like I saved it? Do not know of anything I did... it all of a sudden just started happening. Thank you.

• 1. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
          macinbytes Level 4

Files coming from someone else on a 2 monitor or wider screen monitor than you?

Open a blank document and then open your existing documents, does that cure it?

• 3. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
            NTC Ann Level 1

These are my same documents on same monitor.... Ok till a couple of days ago and then suddenly started acting up... why, I do not  know.

• 4. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
              NTC Ann Level 1

OK. I called Adobe. They had me go to troubleshooting for freezes or won't open new document. What it says was to lst try removing to desktop — the SING folder  — and then if not that, the Mark11 folder inside Library, Adobe and the rest of the pathway. This appears to have worked. Hope this helps anyone else w. this problem happening.

• 5. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
                NotarySojac Level 1

This is tantilizing - it sounds like this may help my wife's recurring problem with CS4, but what do you mean by go to "troubleshooting for freezes or won't open new document"? I can't find that in any Help sections, and I can't find any folders named either SING or Mark11.

• 6. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

NotarySojac wrote:

This is tantilizing - it sounds like this may help my wife's recurring problem with CS4, but what do you mean by go to

See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408816.html.

Your symptoms are not the ones we usually associate with SING problems, but following the instructions there won't hurt.

• 7. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
                    NotarySojac Level 1

Thank you, John. We'll give it a try.

Even though this is the InDesign forum, the original poster said it had started in Photoshop - which is where my wife is having troubles - and is the only discussion approxoamting her problems. Her actual symptoms are that almost every day when she fires up Photoshop her palettes are not where she left them - sometimes overlaying the document she just opened, sometimes palettes she never uses, just today the Info palette was undocked and minimized in the middle of the screen.

I'll open a new thread in the Photoshop forum and ask there instead of cluttering up the InDesign forum.

• 8. Re: CS4 Workspace not holding
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Even though this is the InDesign forum, the original poster said it had started in Photoshop - which is where my wife is having troubles - and is the only discussion approxoamting her problems.

What you describe is normally a symptom of preference corruption.

The solution is to restart the program holding down all modifiers: on the Mac, cmd-opt-shift-control, under Windows, ctrl-alt-shift. If you do it fast enoug, you get a dialog box confirming you wish to delete preferences.

I suspect that is more likely to help than SING, which I do not believe Photoshop uses.