5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 1:11 PM by nealeh

Making a video from sequenced still images in PrE 8

Mack Ramedia Level 1

Running into a little glitch. The jpegs were created in a program called 3DVia Composer. I created 420 jpegs in animation sequence. The program default named them in sequence issfp_anim1.jpg - issfp_anim420.jpg.  When I import the images I sort by oldest first, but it's not sorting by oldest first. It seems to ignore the time stamp and sort by name in what it thinks is ascending order; everything that begins with 1 followed by everything that begins with 2 by everything that begins with 3, etc.

Any help?

• 1. Re: Making a video from sequenced still images in PrE 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're looking at the photos in the Organizer or on the Media panel, both of which list graphics files by the date saved by default.

Import the photos into your project using Get Media/From Files and Folders.

They will appear, by default, listed in order by alpha-numeric name in the Project panel (under the Organize tab).

If you'd like them listed in another order, you can right-click on the Project panel and select Edit Columns. Create a column for, say, Date and you will be able to order the listing by it by clicking on the column's header. (The program, by the way, reads the date/time as the date/time the file was last saved. It does not read the date that the photo was taken or the video shot.)

• 2. Re: Making a video from sequenced still images in PrE 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

With that naming convention, I can see some possible issues. The program would do better to use ____001, through ____420. While viewing in an "organizer," one should be able to Sort on Date/Time, but then several operations will be Sorting by the alpha-numeric File Name.

Some renaming utilities can make such renaming fairly easy, by appending the leading 0's, and sequentially.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Making a video from sequenced still images in PrE 8
              Mack Ramedia Level 1

Thanks Steve. I tried that. When I tried the edit columns feature there was not date

column available. There was a shot/take column and I tried that along

with a few others like Description, but the new columns never displayed any information. The date taken and last date saved should have been the same, because I haven't manipulated the images at all. They all have the same date (yesterday) just all with different times. For some stange reason, they all have as the last date saved 8:22 am today, which is when I opened them in PrE. I think the auto save feature in PrE changed the date. And PrE is interpreting the order by alpha-numeric name as issfp_anim1.jpg,  issfp_anim10.jpg,  issfp_anim100.jpg,  issfp_anim101.jpg,  issfp_anim102.jpg, etc

• 5. Re: Making a video from sequenced still images in PrE 8
                nealeh Level 5

Try something like this: http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/ It will allow you to rename according to EXIF data so should be able to add usable numerics (i.e. leading zeroes).

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children